PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sacred_summit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
This may sound like a dumb question, but how long do you like your peterson / old boy flame to be?

Do you keep it as short as possible for char lighting and then make it longer to Ligh the bowl when it's smoked half way down? Or just leave it at a length that easily reaches the bottom of the bowl even when char lighting?

This is my length, is it to long or solid?

(Will a longer flame help with light wind also?)

My flame is about as long as a zippo atm.

Attachments

• 20240411_075733.jpg
    20240411_075733.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
My pipe lighting method is not like many people's here. I light my pipe more along how I saw men light their pipes when I was a kid, and I see more cigar guys do it this way. But, I use a bushy flame like you are showing, and I hover it about half and inch or so above the rim of the pipe. I then just puff on my pipe a few times, and the heat is drawn down, not necessarily the flame. You will eventually puff and get a kick back of fire come up out of the bowl, and viola, your pipe is lit, and you didn't scorch your rim.

Some on here report that they can't get their pipe lit this way, and I wish that I could post videos to help. But, that is how I do it. YMMV

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
My pipe lighting method is not like many people's here. I light my pipe more along how I saw men light their pipes when I was a kid, and I see more cigar guys do it this way. But, I use a bushy flame like you are showing, and I hover it about half and inch or so above the rim of the pipe. I then just puff on my pipe a few times, and the heat is drawn down, not necessarily the flame. You will eventually puff and get a kick back of fire come up out of the bowl, and viola, your pipe is lit, and you didn't scorch your rim.

Some on here report that they can't get their pipe lit this way, and I wish that I could post videos to help. But, that is how I do it. YMMV
You can and you must post a video! 😁 Let me know if there's a technical thing that I could help with (besides "I don't have a camera/phone camera").

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Generally pretty short. But always, as does cosmic, I draw the flame to near the tobacco. It lights just fine, even when it's smoked down to half bowl.
Following cosmic's and my method, you really don't need a video. Try it! Just keep the flame itself off the tobacco.