PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jedibastard

Lurker
Feb 16, 2023
Put the pipes in a Tupperware container filled with ground coffee. It doesn't have to be a lot but at least line the bottom of the container. Let it sit for a day and check it out. If needed, go a few more days.
Currently doing that! Had them in some baking soda overnight.
Seems to be working!

Reactions: seanv

jedibastard

Lurker
Feb 16, 2023
I'd take off any vulcanite stems and find a place outside to let the stummels air out for a day or two.

What kinda perfume was it? :)
I have no idea! And she wasnt a fan of it either! But by the time she threw it out, thats when i put 2 and 2 together.
It was some terrible smelling stuff ill tell ya hwhat
The dreaded double post....
Odd. Nothing came up in the searches on here. Only how to get rid of the old estate buy smells. Luckily thats an easy one. Even the good ol youtubes didnt have anything about fragrance/perfume smells.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Odd. Nothing came up in the searches on here. Only how to get rid of the old estate buy smells. Luckily thats an easy one. Even the good ol youtubes didnt have anything about fragrance/perfume smells.
You're situation is unique. I made the double post

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I’m getting convinced that all briar in unvarnished pipes will breathe.

Smoke the hell out of them and get them hot.

The heat, or smoke, or oils or something inside the briar will expel the perfume, the same way it got in.

Do not wax them until the perfume smell leaves.
This would be my recommendation

Reactions: Lees65GTO

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
+1 soap and running water and then rewax. might as well tube brush the airways and scotchbrite pad the bowl chambers. if you have to rewax, go all the way and bring it back newish.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Put the stummel in a 200 degree oven with the door ajar for 24 hours - the heat will cause the volatiles to outgas and the smell will go away.

jedibastard

Lurker
Feb 16, 2023
After about 4 days in damp Coffee grounds with some baking soda added, about 5 scrubs with murphys oil, and about another 5 scrubs of some dr bronners sal suds cleaner, 3 coats of pure bear oil(yes. Actual oil from a bear) and 2 thin coats of walrus oils furniture wax ....MY PIPES NO LONGER SMELL LIKE PERFUME!!
The coffee grounds definitely darkened the wood, which i actually really like. And the bear oil treatment, well...why not?! This was all experimental anyway, and if the pipes were going to be thrown out if nothing worked, might as try some new things. The bear oil was actually really neat. It soaked in the first coat, adding a really neat satin type shine. Then i buffed it with a cotton rag. I did that another 2 times just to be safe. The walrus oil furniture wax was pretty rad, but doesnt give off a high shine like pure carnuba wax does. Which is fine by me!!!! The rhodesian pipe has 2 coats of black walnut wood stain that was made for axe handles by lamaca axes.
Anyway. Fun little experiment that ended well and im really liking the new finish!!!20240115_143125.jpg20240115_143134.jpg