Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I just noticed an exact look alike of 4AB made by Genod....at SP .com...I would not be surprised that it is the same bowl...Today you never know where their bowls are turned...

I see what you're saying, but to me that's nothing at all like a 4AB - it's only similarity is that it's an army mount. I have a Peterson 69 with an army mount that some would argue is exactly like a 4AB.

Granted, I'm picky about the AB stem; however, if you put that up next to a real AB stem, you'd see what I mean...starting with the non-plip.

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I see what you're saying, but to me that's nothing at all like a 4AB - it's only similarity is that it's an army mount. I have a Peterson 69 with an army mount that some would argue is exactly like a 4AB.

Granted, I'm picky about the AB stem; however, if you put that up next to a real AB stem, you'd see what I mean...starting with the non-plip.
Yep..stem on this Genod pipe is shorter,bend is more gradual and it is not as gradually tapered and narrow shaped as real 4AB stem and no p lip but to me bowl looks the same (I did not checked the meassurments)..I bet if somebody smoking this Genod pipe 6 foot away you may think he smokes 4AB...

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021

Do you smoke your 4AB?or keep it on a display with SH memorabilia?

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Do you smoke your 4AB?or keep it on a display with SH memorabilia?

No 4AB, but I have a 1905 shape 20 with the same AB stem that would have been on the famous 4AB. I do have a pre-wwii '4' bowl that fits it perfectly, but I've resisted that urge. I do not have any SH memorabilia, but I do have pipes that are very similar to many of the pipes that were smoked in the movies. I have studied the movies and procured them on purpose, but a genuine 4AB is next to impossible to find.

To answer your question, I smoke the hell out of it, as did at least one smoker who owned it before me. It's my favorite pipe.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I'll add that I have had my AB-stem pipe for a while now. I eagerly awaited the 2021 POY, and when it arrived, compared the stems closely. I had previously compared my AB stem to photos of the Holmes pipe and catalog pics. Peterson did a great job with the POY, but I don't see that they made an effort to replicate the real 4AB's - they made a modern version that had a flatter ferrule, a fatter stem near the mouthpiece, and the stummel was all over the place (some with fat shanks, some with shorter bowls). I'm sure the original 4ABs varied as well, but with the POY Peterson was trying to make a 4AB-type pipe that was in line with the design features of their modern pipes.

The greatest part of the new pipe is the stem - it is very different from any of their other current stems, and I hope they use the design for other system pipes in the future.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
Thanks for very interesting reply!!! If I remember it right they did not have a real 4AB stem to look at so Peterson folks created it from the picture...If they new you got the real stem it wood have been even better.....They never replicate the exact copy of historical pipe..I have no idea why..Even Ch.Peterson replica pipe,M.Twain pipe and several others are different...But they try..I did noticed silver ferule is different as well on a new 4 AB...I ve got 1950s system pipe made in england and ferule is more cone looking..

Reactions: kcghost

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
I'll add that I have had my AB-stem pipe for a while now. I eagerly awaited the 2021 POY, and when it arrived, compared the stems closely. I had previously compared my AB stem to photos of the Holmes pipe and catalog pics. Peterson did a great job with the POY, but I don't see that they made an effort to replicate the real 4AB's - they made a modern version that had a flatter ferrule, a fatter stem near the mouthpiece, and the stummel was all over the place (some with fat shanks, some with shorter bowls). I'm sure the original 4ABs varied as well, but with the POY Peterson was trying to make a 4AB-type pipe that was in line with the design features of their modern pipes.

The greatest part of the new pipe is the stem - it is very different from any of their other current stems, and I hope they use the design for other system pipes in the fu

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Thanks for very interesting reply!!! If I remember it right they did not have a real 4AB stem to look at so Peterson folks created it from the picture...If they new you got the real stem it wood have been even better.....They never replicate the exact copy of historical pipe..I have no idea why..Even Ch.Peterson replica pipe,M.Twain pipe and several others are different...But they try..I did noticed silver ferule is different as well on a new 4 AB...I ve got 1950s system pipe made in england and ferule is more cone looking..

They try to make such pipes 'close', but they intentionally add modern features. They did use a picture to get the general design idea.

The different ferrule proves it, in my opinion. Perhaps they couldn't make a rounded ferrule easily enough to justify mass production - I don't know.

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
They try to make such pipes 'close', but they intentionally add modern features. They did use a picture to get the general design idea.

The different ferrule proves it, in my opinion. Perhaps they couldn't make a rounded ferrule easily enough to justify mass production - I don't know.
I am afraid you are right...But considering some reproduction pipes are limited editions collectors are ready to pay higher prices anyway ..So 100 $ extra if pipe made right would not matter to collectors at all...My opinion...

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I am afraid you are right...But considering some reproduction pipes are limited editions collectors are ready to pay higher prices anyway ..So 100 $ extra if pipe made right would not matter to collectors at all...My opinion...

I think they made a lot of mistakes with the 2021 POY release, but I'm happy to have gotten a couple - they are great pipes, and a great value in my opinion.

I thought they would cost more, so yes, I would have paid $100 more to have had a replica of the 4AB.