PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Just noticed SP has those POY 2021Petersons 4AB in stock...They are quite unpleasant to my eye and thin walled but a lot of people like them...Sandblasting on my vintage Parker,Kriswill,Savinelli and other no name pipes looks a lot better than this...To this day Peterson can not learn how to sandblast their pipes..The best ones they call PSB which are decent...

Last edited:

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
There were 5 when I looked 25 min. ago. All sandblasted. Then 4, then 3, then...now they are gone. I wonder how much they received? Must have been the last batch, I saw 492/500 on a sandblasted one.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Just noticed SP has those POY 2021Petersons 4AB in stock...They are quite unpleasant to my eye and thin walled but a lot of people like them...Sandblasting on my vintage Parker,Kriswill,Savinelli and other no name pipes looks a lot better than this...To this day Peterson can not learn how to sandblast their pipes..The best ones they call PSB which are decent...
I disagree about their sandblasting. Yeah, the PSB's are nice but I picked up a standard blasted SH Squire last year and its blasting was nearly on an even keel with the PSB. Of course, my finest blasted pipe is a 1985 Ashton pebble grain billiard.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Unpleasant?

Why, I was just enjoying mine earlier while talking with some old friends! We look wonderful, if I do say so myself!
4AF7A2F8-D000-4B26-BB42-7A75CECB56A4_4_5005_c.jpeg

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
Yeah, this shape is either love it, or hate it, and at first sight.

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
Unpleasant?

Why, I was just enjoying mine earlier while talking with some old friends! We look wonderful, if I do say so myself!
View attachment 140783
Not unpleasant shape but unpleasant blasting...They had maybe 10 of them first and during few minutes they been down to 5...Only 2 of them looked decent blast or rustication...

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
I disagree about their sandblasting. Yeah, the PSB's are nice but I picked up a standard blasted SH Squire last year and its blasting was nearly on an even keel with the PSB. Of course, my finest blasted pipe is a 1985 Ashton pebble grain billiard.
Once in a blue moon you can find a nice blasted Peterson which looks better than theirs PSB..But comparing their blasts to my vintage pipes is day and a night...Just saying...I like Peterson but do not have their blast pipe yet...maybe one day

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
Speaking as someone whose got nearly 50 Petersons and at least 12+ sandblasted ones from the past four decades, I can assure you they're doing just fine.
I got about 25 mostly smooth ones and few rusticated and like them...But everytime i like everything else on a sandblasted pipe there is some sandblasted finish flaw I can't get over..Like deep uneven holes top of bowl sandblasted uneven,no rings in sandblast etc..

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Not unpleasant shape but unpleasant blasting...They had maybe 10 of them first and during few minutes they been down to 5...Only 2 of them looked decent blast or rustication...
I misunderstood and not suggesting anyone has to like any particular shape. I'm definitely holding a smooth finish in the pub!

I'm very happy with the rusticated one I have, haven't had a sandblast in hand so can't comment on that. There are so many differences with blasts and rustications among all types of pipe makers that there would be a lot to argue about aesthetically, IMO. Eye of the beholder, no right or wrong!

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
I misunderstood and not suggesting anyone has to like any particular shape. I'm definitely holding a smooth finish in the pub!

I'm very happy with the rusticated one I have, haven't had a sandblast in hand so can't comment on that. There are so many differences with blasts and rustications among all types of pipe makers that there would be a lot to argue about aesthetically, IMO. Eye of the beholder, no right or wrong!
well....you are right :)

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus