PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Allthough I really like the look of Petersons with Military Mounts / Spigots I decided against it. 170 euros for me could be almost 5 years of tobacco of one blend I like in my present smoking pace. Nevertheless if I really was in the market for a pipe (eg my cellar would be wide enough) it would have been a serious contender. Moving on, nothing to see here.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Allthough I really like the look of Petersons with Military Mounts / Spigots I decided against it. 170 euros for me could be almost 5 years of tobacco of one blend I like in my present smoking pace. Nevertheless if I really was in the market for a pipe (eg my cellar would be wide enough) it would have been a serious contender. Moving on, nothing to see here.
Tobacco is not getting any cheaper, or available. That's where I would place my money.

Whereas Peterson will still be cranking out pipes several years from now...

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Thats what I told myself when I got my own bought "i have been nice santa" presents... And still look at me looking at my next pipe. Its a decease and for a change not the 21st century plague.
Yep, I was "done" when I secured two 4ABs, then as long as I woke up at 4 a.m. anyway and managed to get one in my cart I ordered a rusticated one on SP EU (finally arriving in a few hours!), then I saw one of the original Sherlock Holmes release pipes, unsmoked NIB, so . . . grabbed that, then I saw a Comoy from the 30s which was an era I wanted an estate pipe from (again unsmoked!) . . . then Secret Santa gave me a super cool old Comoy (why do we need these "new" pipes? Yes, purely rhetorical). Then TP sent me a little freebie stress ball to squeeze (I don't think it is supposed to cure PAD or TAD, but rather they want me to chill and order more, lol). These new Petersons are beautiful, IMO, and I had one picked out but got distracted and came back and it was gone and figured I better take that as a sign for now because I'm "done". Well, I'm done typing because I need to squeeze my little black ball!

mtvernon

Lurker
Sep 4, 2020
Placer County, California
I like briar pipes that color as you smoke, more than just the usual aging. I'd be interested to see how these look in a year or two. Sometimes you get a deep walnut stain look, and even later it will develop a polished look. With the metal work that would be nice although they are handsome new.
53BE581B-FEC6-42EB-A7D8-7D21E1F3C89D.jpeg
i was deep into was deep into my most profound PAD during peak COVID with an irresistible combination - more funds due to working from home (less gas) and a little bored. Out of that came this purchase. In non-PAD episodes, I may have passed on it, but if I did id pass up on something special.

It hasn’t been a year, but you can hopefully detect a darkening of the bowl. I wish I could show a “before” picture, but I didn’t think of that at the time.

in addition to the meerschaum-like interest it generates vis a vis coloring, it’s become one of my most regularly used pipes in my stable. It’s lightweight, the bowl is medium in size, and it has smoked beautifully right out of the box from day one. It’s truly a pleasure, and I was going to suggest a friend get one this morning but I realize they’re all gone. I’m sad for him, but I am all the more pleased that I leaped at the chance to buy one myself.

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
Another thing to note is that a lot of their pipes are stained very dark. Some like this style, and it certain pipes I do as well. But dark staining, rusticating, and sandblasting are great ways to hide subpar briar. This is why smooths are generally more pricey. Especially smooth natural stains.

If you've got the cash for it, their Sherlocks are usually primo. This one has great birdseye, light staining so you get a good look at the briar, and the chamber is unfinished so you can scope the inside for any defects. To me, this is a stunning pipe.

View attachment 114880
I really love Birdseye on a pipe and this is a good example! This is a very nice pipe IMHO!