PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A great summary of the first five years of Laudisi's ownership of the Peterson brand:

I love that he points out that the new bowl coating is not the old bowl coating. Its my experience that breaking in a new Peterson is a great experience.

While K&P quit dip staining their pipes back around 2000, turning to a food-grade vegetable “paint,” you might think the anti-Pete crowd would have noticed. But on many forums up until 2015 or so I was still reading the same cant. Next time someone brings this up, do correct their misconception.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Laudisi made a stunningly shrewd move the gather up the Peterson Brand under its stewardship. It followed this up by having to take over the Dunhill pipe tobacco line. Laudisi has real tightened up the ship at Peterson without a bunch rolling heads which I find commendable.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Laudisi made a stunningly shrewd move the gather up the Peterson Brand under its stewardship. It followed this up by having to take over the Dunhill pipe tobacco line. Laudisi has real tightened up the ship at Peterson without a bunch rolling heads which I find commendable.
I think the tobacco was taken over by STG, no?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
A great summary of the first five years of Laudisi's ownership of the Peterson brand:

I love that he points out that the new bowl coating is not the old bowl coating. Its my experience that breaking in a new Peterson is a great experience.
It's my experience the new coating is pretty easy to remove! :)

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The Dunhill has sold the name and production of its tobacco to several people before selecting STG as the provider. Peterson then bought the rights to the Dunhill products but not the name (Dunhill wanted to hell out of the tobacco business). STG has continued to manufacture the "Peterson" product.

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
I used to read complementary posts by those who lauded their new Peterson, saying that at 40 bowls in "she's coming along quite nicely, "which to me was an example of greed by owners who would not apply a bowl coating method congenial to the one who PAID for the pipe and kept them in business.

Apparently, under Laudisi, its a new Peterson day, and now after 20 years of disdain, I can add Peterson to those pipes I will cruise when considering buying a pipe, which is far too often:).

Reactions: AroEnglish

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Dunhill has sold the name and production of its tobacco to several people before selecting STG as the provider. Peterson then bought the rights to the Dunhill products but not the name (Dunhill wanted to hell out of the tobacco business). STG has continued to manufacture the "Peterson" product.
The Peterson Tobacco IP belongs to STG. It's separate from Peterson pipes. Since STG already owned the Peterson brand name for tobaccos they used it in place of Dunhill since Dunhill/BAT/your auntie Horace wouldn't allow the Dunhill name to be used in connection with pipe tobacco products.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like they refreshed and enlivened the brand, though i hope this doesn't diminish the Irish connection..

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Sykes and his various crewmen through the years have done more for pipes and tobacco, far and away, than any other entity.

Zero doubt.

Laudisi introduced a significant amount of the "united we stand, divided we fall" dynamic into the pipe and tobacco industry. Mom and pop shops---however much we love them---are individually weak in directional "clout" and financial terms.

Centralize a big chunk of buying and marketing power, and Good Things can happen if the right people are doing the aiming and trigger pulling.

So far, they've been spot-on.

Screen Shot 2023-10-22 at 1.20.24 PM.png

Reactions: jpberg and ssjones