PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
I think if you cut the end of a P lip off you can make the fishtail out of it...BUT I never tried yet but logic tells me its possible.I own one old Peterson Erica from 80s and the stem looks like modified p lip to fishtail...

No, you can't, or at least can't do so well. There just isn't enough material in the right places to make a good fishtail button out of a p-lip stem. Also, hand cutting a button in vulcanite requires pretty tremendous levels of skill and experience, as well as the right tools, so even if you did have enough material to fashion a button, it's just a really bad idea.

Sykes

Edit: I think it's possible that on very specific stem shapes the above may not be true and it might be--in very narrow circumstances--to have enough material on a p-lip stem that this is--in a literal sense--possible. But hand cutting a button from rod is hard; hand cutting a button from a differently shaped button with different internal configuration? Really close to impossible to do well.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
No, you can't, or at least can't do so well. There just isn't enough material in the right places to make a good fishtail button out of a p-lip stem. Also, hand cutting a button in vulcanite requires pretty tremendous levels of skill and experience, as well as the right tools, so even if you did have enough material to fashion a button, it's just a really bad idea.

Sykes

Edit: I think it's possible that on very specific stem shapes the above may not be true and it might be--in very narrow circumstances--to have enough material on a p-lip stem that this is--in a literal sense--possible. But hand cutting a button from rod is hard; hand cutting a button from a differently shaped button with different internal configuration? Really close to impossible to do well.
I absolutely agree with this in principle, but have also seen it done very well!

Groot5225

Might Stick Around
Feb 3, 2023
I didn't realize there were that few. Where did you see that information?
I reached out to the Danish pipe shop to see if they received any POTY , and they said that they just received the shipment. They informed me they didn’t get any silver cap, but emailed Peterson and forwarded me their email. IMG_2556.jpeg

Last edited:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I absolutely agree with this in principle, but have also seen it done very well!

You just saw something you were satisfied with.

Missing/insufficient material in certain places means a correctly shaped fishtail bitezone and slot-style button isn't possible. Shaping skill has nothing to do with it, how high your personal satisfaction bar is set has nothing to do with it.

As for the small percentage that Sykes referred to where there was enough material, the catch is you don't know---can't know---until cutting is well underway. You simply get what you get.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
@JimInks did you get all the available 2021 4ab?
And ………. without telling the story but it’s an amazing one, he managed to put me in touch with one of mine (which was just a little drive north into MN), a wonderful guy from Hawaii in touch with his (which came to me) after a little mailing snafu that without a couple forum communities coming together because of @JimInks kind intervention may not have sorted out. Bizarre yet incredible that all three involved were on forums. Forever grateful!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
A short review - this feels like a scaled down No. 68 and loving this shape. Bowl coating ….. gone in two minutes, no stain bleed, perfect drilling, chamber looks terrific, stem bang on square, no tarnish on the silver - I give Peterson quality control a 10/10 on this one. And …… it is performing great as I type. We are smokin’! (The good kind)!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
And ………. without telling the story but it’s an amazing one, he managed to put me in touch with one of mine (which was just a little drive north into MN), a wonderful guy from Hawaii in touch with his (which came to me) after a little mailing snafu that without a couple forum communities coming together because of @JimInks kind intervention may not have sorted out. Bizarre yet incredible that all three involved were on forums. Forever grateful!
It was my pleasure to have been of help to you fellas.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho

Sykes

Thanks to put some light on things..

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My #81 was delivered today. Couple of interesting points:

SP's page on the pipe said it weighed 53.7 grams. I weigh it at 46 grams. I was put out that the pipe was over 50 grams, so pleased on this point of difference. (that is off by 15%, not insignificant) I use a restaurant quality digital scale.

I'm disappointed in the top button - it's barely there. I see Hawkeyelinus #49 is identical. My two other POY Petersons have a much better defined button. I'm going to email Peterson, and see if they will send me another stem.

20230812_122145.jpg20230812_122749.jpg20230812_122846.jpg