PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Peterson drops a new line of reverse calabash pipes, they call it "rear basket". Read the details in Marks's blog entry this AM:
(and see Ashdiggers 1911 Calabash!)

1711885430966.png

1711885493452.png
1711885570718.png

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I'm safe either way as I am not a Pete Geek.

But at least you are showing up in Peterson threads to let us know that you don't like them.

In response to the OP, having helped Mark out with a past April Fool's 'plan', I would not put anything past him, no matter how elaborate and sort-of-plausible.

Having said that, I have a Giacomo Penzo (lead pipe designer for Peterson) morta that is very similar in design to the Radice in the blog - so the principal behind the design of these pipes, real or not, is sound.

Here it is beneath a 1960's gold-band Supreme with a wonderful p-lip.

RlAKNPM.jpeg

Aug 1, 2012
I'll admit, I was fooled. My initial thought was how ugly I found the pipes and it didn't even register that it might be a joke.

On a semi related note, I really wish I had hopped on the reverse calabash trend before it fizzled. Not worried though since so many pipes I lusted after have fallen into my lap at just the right time.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Ah, Mark Irwin, on 3/31, I should have known.
And he said the Calabash belonged to "Tom Lomprey"....

I thought perhaps someone got into the Jamesons at SmokingPipes, the era of reverse calabash pipes seems to have left the building.

Got me Mark!

I think April Fool's is Mark's favorite holiday - he starts working on elaborate plans WAY in advance.
Giacomo Penzo has actually been making more of those reverse calabashes lately. I just got back from a dog walk, smoking the pipe I showed above. Slow sipping of straight VA - the shape and morta blast really feel great in the hand.

I'll admit, I was fooled. My initial thought was how ugly I found the pipes and it didn't even register that it might be a joke.

On a semi related note, I really wish I had hopped on the reverse calabash trend before it fizzled. Not worried though since so many pipes I lusted after have fallen into my lap at just the right time.

Me too. I absolutely planned on buying one of these, despite how odd and 'ugly' they look. Then I read in the comments where someone mentioned April Fool's, and then the drop time of midnight (when April Fool's begins) sealed the deal. Still...I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't drop 'something' at midnight, so I'll check in.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I absolutely planned on buying one of these, despite how odd and 'ugly' they look. Then I read in the comments where someone mentioned April Fool's
Same here. I got up this morning and started reading the PPN blog and thought to myself damn, they're ugly...I want one.

Reactions: runscott

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I saw a guy at the Gym like that once. Hard pass here -I like to smoke my terbaccy, not eat it.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Haha...I think most people still believe this is real. Hate to say it, but as much as I like my Petersons, they just aren't quite this creative with their designs.