PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycroftholmes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2018
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I have a new Peterson Sherlock Holmes Lestrade pipe with a rough(like sand paper) black substance covering the bowl which I have never seen before on any new Peterson pipes. Should I sand it off or leave it on before smoking the pipe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I had a new Peterson with a sandpaper-like black bowl coating. I rinsed it under warm water for a half a minute and it came off with a paper towel. Took a couple tries to get it all.

mycroftholmes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2018
I had a new Peterson with a sandpaper-like black bowl coating. I rinsed it under warm water for a half a minute and it came off with a paper towel. Took a couple tries to get it all.
Did you notice any flaws in the briar under the coating you removed? I wonder if they add the coating to cover a fault in the briar

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had 'em coated and uncoated. I always give extra points for uncoated, but I don't bother to remove it either. It's a preventative for people who smoke a pipe too hard and start a burn-out process, I believe. I like the expressed confidence in my years of pipe smoking, of no coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.