PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I am thinking of buying a Peterson System 313, and this will be my first non-filtered Pete, so I want to have a great experience with it.

Does the System Spigot pipe have the “chimney” tenon extension that I have seen on some Peterson System pipes? It’s like a metal fitting that goes over the end of the tenon and is supposed to help dry the smoke. I know the System Standard has the extension built right into the mouthpiece.

The System Spigot definitely wins on sex appeal, but does it smoke any better than a System Standard? Worth the extra $50?

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
There was someone who posted a while back that they thought the deluxe smoked marginally better than the system spigot but I can't remember their thoughts on spigot vs. standard.

For me they both smoke great and do what they’re supposed to. I’ll probably smoke a tobacco in each pipe at the same time to get a better comparison but I haven't smoked one and thought it was superior/inferior to the other.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The 50 bucks goes into the silver work on it. Or that's what I assume. I have a spigot and it's a great pipe. Either way my suggestion is that if you do buy a system pipe read up on proper aftercare (Peterson and I think SmokingPipes.com have good articles about the history and care of a system pipe, which in my opinion works like a filter that enhances flavor as well as helping prevent bite. But the care is like most pipes with a few extras and they do make a difference.
Another thing about the spigot is since it's got the metal on the stem it helps prevent wear and one of the things with the system pipe is you can take the stem out mid smoke without issues. So in theory the metal on the stem extends the life of the stem.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
The 50 bucks goes into the silver work on it. Or that's what I assume. I have a spigot and it's a great pipe. Either way my suggestion is that if you do buy a system pipe read up on proper aftercare (Peterson and I think SmokingPipes.com have good articles about the history and care of a system pipe, which in my opinion works like a filter that enhances flavor as well as helping prevent bite. But the care is like most pipes with a few extras and they do make a difference.
Another thing about the spigot is since it's got the metal on the stem it helps prevent wear and one of the things with the system pipe is you can take the stem out mid smoke without issues. So in theory the metal on the stem extends the life of the stem.
Thanks, I do have one System 303 that takes a 9mm filter. The 313 would be my first non-filtered system pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Thanks, I do have one System 303 that takes a 9mm filter. The 313 would be my first non-filtered system pipe.
I have to admit I really do adore my system spigot. It does smoke wonderfully including blends that are too wet. But where I really feel it shows it's greatness is when I smoke complex blends. The flavors somehow get less muted.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I have to admit I really do adore my system spigot. It does smoke wonderfully including blends that are too wet. But where I really feel it shows it's greatness is when I smoke complex blends. The flavors somehow get less muted.
I want to experiment with less drying time to see if it gives more flavor. I have tried using an 3mm/9mm adaptor in my 303, but I don't think it's giving me the same smoke that I'd get from a dedicated, unfiltered system.

About to find out. Just pulled the trigger on my System 313 order. :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I want to experiment with less drying time to see if it gives more flavor. I have tried using an 3mm/9mm adaptor in my 303, but I don't think it's giving me the same smoke that I'd get from a dedicated, unfiltered system.

About to find out. Just pulled the trigger on my System 313 order. :)
only way to find out. That is to try it and see. I find how much drying effects flavor depends on the blend. VA for instance gets the most out being super dry. Burly is effected but not in the same way. Aros seem best with some to no drying, though some actually stay great dry as heck.

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Came here to read up on the differences. I have a few standard systems and a thought arose that the chamber holds alot of moisture, and I can't remove it until the pipe cools down, remove the stem, pipe cleaners or paper towel in the chamber, (pipe cleaner through the stem and some again) no rhyme intended:).

However, with the spigot you don't have to let the stem cool down before removal. Thus the second your done your bowl, you can remove the stem to dry out the chamber, put it back together again and smoke away. That saves 30 minutes? I'm not actually sure how quickly it takes for a pipe and stem to cool down, I've always waited at least 30 minutes to be safe.

I maybe wrong, but my thiught process is that a spigot system will let you smoke the pipe all day long if you want to.

The standard system requires rest and cooling before you can clean out tje chamber and re-smoke.

I havnt read up on standard system maintenence, I will now! I'm glad I saw that post.

Final thoughts, spigot is sexy and unique. If you can get one, buy one!

Here in Canada it's very hard to get a Peterson (you can order from the states but customs slams tobacco tax on the pipe. The local stores here have a hard time getting in petersond other than the basic standard systems, and yor christmas and dt Patty's day limited editions, your 999's and bulldogs. The nicer petersons are never to be found:(.

I've come to LOVE my 303 and 307 standard (ove always wondered if they take filters)

Anyhow, the bent shape and p-lip fits so nicely in my mouth. The p-lip coats your entire pallet with smoke and if done right I get more flavor! (Dofferent parts of your tongue respond to different flavors) shooting smoke to the roof of your mouth allows it to bounce off and coat all areas of the tongue, including the very far back taste buds evenly. VS first lasting the front or side taste Buds from a fish tail.

My theory on why the p-lip provides better flavor.

Caveat* - it only works with slow smoking. To much smoke will flood receptors and you won't taste much. It happens even faster on a p-lip.

Reactions: AroEnglish

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Peterson System pipes don't actually require rest. They are designed to be workhorse pipes.
Dump it out, wipe it out, and smoke again.

They were designed to be the absolute best pipe a man could purchase at a time when men generally only could afford one or maybe two pipes. They are without a doubt, smokers.

It should be noted however, given the thread topic, that not all System pipes are spigot pipes. The spigot feature has nothing to do with the Peterson patent system.

1710436530539.png

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Peterson System pipes don't actually require rest. They are designed to be workhorse pipes.
Dump it out, wipe it out, and smoke again.

They were designed to be the absolute best pipe a man could purchase at a time when men generally only could afford one or maybe two pipes. They are without a doubt, smokers.

It should be noted however, given the thread topic, that not all System pipes are spigot pipes. The spigot feature has nothing to do with the Peterson patent system.

View attachment 295726
My new Pub Pipe doesn't seem to have "cyclonic action" yet ... that might be dangerous in a pipe that
big ! ;) :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: AroEnglish

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
FYI ... for no particular reason; from the Peterson site:

System Spigot Smooth​

A relatively recent addition to the System range, the System Spigot first appeared in 2015 and was designed to enhance Charles Peterson's patented System design — complete with a deep reservoir to collect excess moisture from the smoke; a graduated bore mouthpiece that funnels the smoke and allows moisture to collect within the reservoir; a sturdy sterling silver military mount, which allows the pipe to be broken down and cleaned without damage or warping; and a our patented P-Lip bit, which draws the smoke upward, thus reducing tongue bite — with the inclusion of a sterling silver spigot and Hinch mount. The pipes themselves are crafted from select-quality bowls and finished in a classic walnut stain, making the System Spigot an excellent accompaniment to the System Standard and Deluxe System lines.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I am thinking of buying a Peterson System 313, and this will be my first non-filtered Pete, so I want to have a great experience with it.

Does the System Spigot pipe have the “chimney” tenon extension that I have seen on some Peterson System pipes? It’s like a metal fitting that goes over the end of the tenon and is supposed to help dry the smoke. I know the System Standard has the extension built right into the mouthpiece.

The System Spigot definitely wins on sex appeal, but does it smoke any better than a System Standard? Worth the extra $50?
only have a spigot and frankly you'll love it. Smokes like a charm.