PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Pigs aren't exactly scared of anything. In the wild, I had rather come upon a bear than a wild pig.

Indeed. They're mean, and smart, and their tusks aren't just ornamental. They know how to use 'em.

I bagged a Russian/American hybrid with a handgun once in deep woods at the Tennessee end of North Carolina. Range was 30 feet. The guide warned us that a non-stopping shot would result in a charge, so don't screw up. Mine dropped, but my buddy went a few inches wide on another one the next day, and actually did a jump & split manuver when the pig ran between his legs. He nailed it in the spine by shooting straight down. Calls don't get much closer. rotf

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Snatch GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
I'm with BT Tony on this...
1cd0ef27-df80-4efe-8d5e-29d989ee915f_text.gif

I once had a wild boar put a tusk through the door of my truck when I was out hunting.
I am pretty amazed at how fast a domestic pig will turn into a boar when lost to the wild. Eating slop in a pen seems to keep them all pink and happy. But released into the wild, they grow more hair and their bodies change.
They say that when they found a child that had been living wild in the wilderness that she had also grown fur like an animal. I wonder what makes that happen.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I was sat next to Alan Ford (Brick Top) in a london café, about 20 years ago. Quite disappointing really, he was dressed like a ponce & drinking one of those iced Frappuccino things, reading a Thomas Hardy novel. Never meet your heroes, as the saying goes.

Here’s a funny little insight into the cockney language.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
reading a Thomas Hardy novel

That’s crazy talk. Nobody actually reads a Thomas Hardy novel. At best you might meet a stranger who heard about people who claim to know someone who once saw an animated adaptation of Return of the Native. And even then they’re lying through their teeth.

• Haha
Reactions: jpmcwjr and simong

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
That’s crazy talk. Nobody actually reads a Thomas Hardy novel. At best you might meet a stranger who heard about people who claim to know someone who once saw an animated adaptation of Return of the Native. And even then they’re lying through their teeth.
Sounds as if the Americans find Hardy a bit too heavy going as well.
Well as maybe but Brick Top was engrossed! Saw it with my own eyes…..Woodlanders I think it was. Theatricals…..a queer bunch.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oi, I fink I read one oncet.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Sounds as if the Americans find Hardy a bit too heavy going as well.

Of the many buds on the ramified branches of the Hardy family tree I’ve always found Thomas’s cousin Oliver infinitely more insightful into the indignities of the human condition. Alternatively for an appealing combination of zeal, ingenuity, and perseverance Hardy’s great nephews Frank and Joe would be hard to beat.

If you absolutely insist on reading Thomas avoid the novels and peruse his doggerel. Are You Digging On My Grave might be a good place to begin and a better one to end.

Reactions: simong

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
If you have a strong stomach for that sort of thing, the forensic article has photographs of the damage done when a houseful of hungry cats goes to work on their deceased owner. [LINK] (The article is paywalled, but I made it available here until February)
Thank you, I think.
Do you think that Jewish cats support the recent Federal budget compromise?
I've yet to see a circumcised cat, so I doubt if any of them are Jewish (or Muslim for that matter).

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It'll be days before anyone notices they haven't seen or heard from me when kick the bucket. I fully expect the first responders will notice my dawg is healthy and well fed. The corpse, however, will be missing pieced of the fleshier parts. My pup is a discerning diner.