PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I’ve used Picayune as a component in blends that I’ve pressed into pucks using a noodle press. In a 30% Picayune and 70% Sutliff 515 RC1 blend the perique seemed much stronger than in straight, unpressed Picayune, which doesn’t really make sense. I’ve been thinking about pressing Picayune all on it’s own. Here’s what the pucks look like, these are 2oz each, 3/4” x 2”.

44DE7860-D65D-427C-B0C1-0C602F1F192A.jpeg

These plugs are a different blend blend but it’s the same idea,

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Soon as Funkenhouser makes his move

Yea, well.. Funkenhouser closes on a house next week.. he has to pay a down payment + part of the closing. The worst possible time for this shit to happen. Appliances, paint, lawnmower.. all that shit, and I need to spend 500 on tobacco.

I keep mentioning it to my wife to see how much sympathy shes showing.. she's showing some, but not nearly enough. ?‍♂️

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
So is it actually gone?

There's still some out there.. you might have to buy tins. I just needed another year or two to buy a lifetime supply. I'm sure you can still find it... It may just be backordered, but P&c just says out of stock.. where they used to say backordered.

I've put in a short prayer.. It could be back.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
What's your process?

Get yourself one of these for $18:

Cut some aluminum foil to act as a stopper on the bottom end. Heat the tobacco up prior to pressing, I do 20 seconds in the microwave, mix, 15 more seconds. The tobacco will be hot to the touch and steaming. Stuff it in the press as fast as you can. Screw the press down as tight as you can. Wait a half hour and you find you can get another quarter turn. Then let it sit for 10 days, crank it down a little more once or twice a day. That‘s basically it.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Shit I was actually hoping to revisit Picayune. The only time I tried it before was when I was hand rolling cigarettes and using Ryback and Three Sails. The advertising copy said Picayune was a recreation of an old New Orleans brand of cigarettes. Well, I thinks to myself, they like good stuff like beignets and cafe au lait, po'boys, gumbo, Hurricanes (the drink, as I hear the storms are less fondly thought of) and boobs down in New Orleans. So I bought some, roll a couple up and nearly gave up the ghost. Inhaling Picayune simultaneously gave me stage 3 lung cancer and sprouted a patch of hair on my chest. It was too manly for me, even after I tried it with filter tips. But what about as a pipe blend, sipped without inhalation? That's what I wanted to give it another shot to find out.