PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I smoked cigs (mainly lucky strike, pall mall or gaulioses red) in my late teens and early twenties. I tried half zware like Van Nelle or Samson, but I didn't like unfiltered cigs nor rolling my own. I don't smoke cigs now, "just" pipes and cigars, I don't feel like needing cigs as a quick nic fix. Funny is I didn't like Camel cigs but love oriental tobacco as a condiment in pipe tobacco now and I smoke my filtered pipes unfiltered.

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I smoked from the age of 14 to 39. It started off with a smoke here or there then up to a pack a day for a long time before I sorta slowed down and then eventually quit. For a year. Now I'm back smoking a couple cigarettes a day. I've been augmenting the cigarettes with zyn pouches and camel snus. I felt healthy for the first time in my life when I quit smoking and am bummed out that staying off the cigarettes is something that I can't seem to do.

Reactions: bullet08

stearmandriver

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2018
I really dislike nicotine, and I dislike any pipe blends that have enough of it that I feel it. Burleys are not my friends haha, but it makes sense that I like english/oriental and Virginia blends. I smoke an occasional pipe for the routine, the flavor, the aroma, and the meditative aspects. Even the smell of a cigarette makes me genuinely sick; headache and nausea. I don't think I'm a normal smoker ;).

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
. I don't think I'm a normal smoker ;).
Your brain still thanks you for the nic hit. You may not appreciate it but, the brain enjoys it, each and every hit. A lotta of folks here don't enjoy it when they over do the nicotine. You are not alone. Your probably as normal as most of the members. Not that we set the bar very high for normalcy.

Reactions: bullet08 and karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
You all find it blunts the pipe Tabacco taste?
Yes, very much so, actually ruins it.

I still like a cigarette though, unfortunately, despite having picked up vaping again due to very hectic times at work meaning I manage to smoke my pipes only 4-5 times per week for the last 6 months.

Pipe is still supreme for taste, a good cigar, or even better a pleb Toscano cigar is still extremely enjoyable though! Ain’t that funny, as living in Europe getting Cohibas, Montecristos etc is not an issue at all, yet I prefer Toscanos! Fun fact, my wife doesn’t mind cigarette or pipe smell, but won’t let me come to bed without a shower and hair wash after any sort of cigar.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cigarettes are stinky for pipe smokers.
A great many of us indulge in both.

Pipe tobaccos and cigars are more natural than cigarettes.
With most production tobacco being cased, and much of it being topped, that's not exactly true. Not to mention that if tobacco sales for cigarettes and chewing tobacco fell, the niche pipe market would likely cease to exist.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA

I still like a cigarette though, unfortunately, despite having picked up vaping again due to very hectic times at work meaning I manage to smoke my pipes only 4-5 times per week for the last 6 months.

Pipe is still supreme for taste, a good cigar, or even better a pleb Toscano cigar is still extremely enjoyable though! Ain’t that funny, as living in Europe getting Cohibas, Montecristos etc is not an issue at all, yet I prefer Toscanos! Fun fact, my wife doesn’t mind cigarette or pipe smell, but won’t let me come to bed without a shower and hair wash after any sort of cigar.
I like cigars and how it smells. I just don't like the smell of cigar on me. Same thing with cigs, don't enjoy the stale cig smell on my clothes.

Reactions: karam

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
The no filters and wides are my favorites. Probably why I prefer straight oriental pipe tobacco.

Camels no filters were my favourite almost 20 years ago, they are just taxed to hell now (Aus).

Funny, I figured because of the Camels I'd enjoy Oriental forward blends but I'm not a fan - I don't dislike it, it's just not my preferred flavour profile, my last bowl was of some 2013 Penzance that didn't do it for me.

Unless I'm not smoking the right Oriental blend, or maybe I need to find something with minute amounts of it.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
state of affairs with the tailor-made cigarettes in the EU is that bad I'don't like throwing money on them much more,mainly cuz those have become tasteless, whrereas cigarettes sold in the mainland of the US are completely different animal'they still do have their individual taste and are more satisfying, this all is due to tar&nicotine regulations in the EU

Reactions: bullet08 and vates

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I haven't smoked a cigarette in many years, used to roll my own with halfzware and zware tobaccos.
I completely went over to pipes and got specific ones for inhaling tobacco, now exclusively
my own concoctions out of raw leaf.
I had some pretty strong coughs and wheezing going on but since I switched to raw leaf I couldn't feel better or stronger. Still, I want to get away from that. Tobacco smoke really has no place in the lungs.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
Cigarillos are good, I always have a lot in my car in an airtight container, but don't expect the same awesome flavor as your favorite regular sized cigar. They're good for the car though. Actually so are the General Grant cigars....so there's that too.

Indeed, real cigars they're not. The best 'rillos are the larger ones. Almost the petit corona territory, so no advantage in time. But I find them more tolerable than cigarettes anyway.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)

You can get a gazillion Toscanos for the price of 1 Cohiba nowadays Karam, cheapest Cohiba longfiller is 30 euros nowadays. And you being a DFK lover it isnt surprising you like Toscanos more.

manny816

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2020
Central NJ USA
I quit cigarettes back in 2001 and have not had one since. I would probably feel queezy if I were to have one now. I do smoke 3 to 4 bowls a day during the week(I can smoke in my home office) and sometimes only 1 or 2 on the weekends. I do have an occasional cigar on the weekends.

Reactions: vates and bullet08

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I started smoking Drum and Camel no filter while in High School, quit in basic training. Lasted about 2 years and started Marlboro lights. 2 more years quit smoking and Ranger School got me dipping Copenhagen and chewing Redman. Ten years into the military and I quit all tobacco for a year just to prove I could. I didn’t miss it so took another year off. To celebrate I started cigars and switched over to pipes about 5 years later and haven’t looked back at anything other than pipes. It’s a hobby, a love and relaxing.

Aug 20, 2022
No, just pipes. I might have a cigar a year if I'm celebrating something.

Definitely no cigs, chew, vapes, etc. The risk:reward ratio is too out of balance for me. And I'm a runner and not a very good one, so I need everything in the lungs functioning at 100%.

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
Yellow American Spirits (4-5 a day), stokers natural long cut, pipes and cigars. I've been a nic junkie since my freshman year in high school 30+ years ago when I was introduced to marlboros and Copenhagen silver lid.