PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have seen them listed from time to time on EBay.
Generally they are a just a grab bag of different sizes
You could go into the EBay site and do an advanced search

But it might work out better if you measure your pipe and order the exact size from Vermont Freehand

Reactions: dublinpiper90

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Installing one properly can be tricky, premade bands dont always conform to the shape you need them to. It can be difficult to get a hydraulic fit with them.

RustieP for the win again. ^^^^

Of the 180+ repair videos I made covering 20+ projects, tools, and techniques, not one of them came within a mile of repair banding. (incorporating an ornamental band in a pipe's design during its creation is an entirely different thing)

Why? Because the process has 34,961,205,339 variables that can trigger up to 88,531,740 possible "domino effect" problems, most of which require unusual/specialized tools to set right.

And like landmines, there's no rewind button when you step on one.

Banding is not recommended for hobbyists as a kitchen table project, in other words.

(Also, not all pipes can even be banded, again for a variety of reasons)

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
RustieP for the win again. ^^^^

Of the 180+ repair videos I made covering 20+ projects, tools, and techniques, not one of them came within a mile of repair banding. (incorporating an ornamental band in a pipe's design during its creation is an entirely different thing)

Why? Because the process has 34,961,205,339 variables that can trigger up to 88,531,740 possible "domino effect" problems, most of which require unusual/specialized tools to set right.

And like landmines, there's no rewind button when you step on one.

Banding is not recommended for hobbyists as a kitchen table project, in other words.

(Also, not all pipes can even be banded, again for a variety of reasons)
Will you eventually do a band repair video?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Will you eventually do a band repair video?

Not a chance. rotf

The problem being the "shop situation" is fractal...

Meaning every "decision point" when demonstrating/choosing how to proceed would be digressive, and the options themselves would digress and branch depending on tool availability, viewer experience, and so forth.

And the "economic situation" is impractical...

Meaning anyone not prepared to buy hundreds of bands---most of them $ilver---in advance, in order to do the extensive test fitting required to find "good candidates" before even starting actual work, will have to deal with endle$$ $hipping back and forth with Steve or Tim to find a good candidate.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Not a chance. rotf

The problem being the "shop situation" is fractal...

Meaning every "decision point" when demonstrating/choosing how to proceed would be digressive, and the options themselves would digress and branch depending on tool availability, viewer experience, and so forth.

And the "economic situation" is impractical...

Meaning anyone not prepared to buy hundreds of bands---most of them $ilver---in advance, in order to do the extensive test fitting required to find "good candidates" before even starting actual work, will have to deal with endle$$ $hipping back and forth with Steve or Tim to find a good candidate.
So when guys ask for this kind of thing done, who do you send them to?

I’m guessing Steve is from VF but who is Tim?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
So when guys ask for this kind of thing done, who do you send them to?

I’m guessing Steve is from VF but who is Tim?

I don't make recommendations when it comes to banding. Too many variables, including the owner's expectations. Doing it "invisbly" (in this case meaning looks original/factory except for hallmarks) is INSANELY difficult.

If someone is just looking for a functional repair to put a pipe back in service, the Internet is their friend.

Tim is Tim West, in Columbus Ohio.

Reactions: AroEnglish