PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
what you need for pipe smoking. Some tobacco, something that makes a flame or ember or just enough heat, and a pipe. Everything else might help make it better more enjoyable less of a pain but those are the three things you need for smoking a pipe. Well you need a mouth and the right environment. Can't smoke a pipe in the ocean or in outer space.

Reactions: wyfbane

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
"Necessary" is the operative and qualifying adjective in play; and that, is going to be an opinion and preference which is wholly subjective the he who would ask the question.

As The Bard mused on paper through his character of Hamlet:

To Softy Bit, or, not to Softy Bit, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in mind to suffer the marks and scars of outrageous chatter;
or, to take up Sotfy Bits,
and thereby, end them.

For me, I like them to protect my better pipes from chatter marks and increases their comfort when clenching.

However, for other pipes which I use they are not "necessary", such as is the case with my Dr Grabow Omega bent stem that utilizes a fake-oh Peterson-style P-lip mouthpiece, which makes a secure, hanging, talkable-clench of this fabulous light-weight pipe "unnecessary" nor desired.

They are you pipe; so as Aleister Crowley - England's most infamous philosopher, occultist, and poet of the 20th Century - famously coined in phrase: "Do What Thou Wilt, Shall Be The Whole Of The Law.".
Crowley_Pipe.jpg

Make yourself happy and comfortable; that's what matters. - Sherm Natman

Last edited:
"Necessary" is operative and qualifying adjective in play; and that, is going to be an opinion and preference which wholly subjective.

For me, I like them to protect my better pipes from chatter marks and increases their comfort when clenching.

For other pipes which I use they are not "necessary", such as is the case with my Dr Grabow Omega bent stem that utilizes a fake-oh Peterson-style P-lip mouthpiece, which makes a secure, hanging, talkable-clench of this fabulous light-weight pipe "unnecessary" nor desired.

They are you pipes, so as Aleister Crowley - England's most infamous philosopher, occultist, and poet of the 20th Century - famously coined in phrase: "Do What Thou Wilt, Shall Be The Whole Of The Law.".
View attachment 202298

Make yourself happy and comfortable; that's what matters. - Sherm Natman
Wait... if the OP was talking about those softy bits, it doesn't make sense. A softy bit would not take up too much space on the pipe to fit into that little bag he posted. He has to be talking about the stem... which makes this thread hilarious.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Wait... if the OP was talking about those softy bits, it doesn't make sense. A softy bit would not take up too much space on the pipe to fit into that little bag he posted. He has to be talking about the stem... which makes this thread hilarious.

Agreed, my dear Brother-of-the Briar; however, I can only respond to what the OP actually stated in print; being: "Pipe Bits".

However
, if he should be wondering about the merits of smoking his pipe sans stem, I have no doubt he will never have to concern himself with trimming his nose hairs ever again.
Nose_Burn.jpg

Hmmm... Let's hope the OP stops over-thinking this puzzle, and simply buys the correctly sized pipe bag for his pipe. - Sherm Natman

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Vampire approved XXXL bits? Oh well I'll take the observational 'L' here and just agree @shermnatman

But darn it, I knew what black coffee meant in another thread! Or did I...

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Instead of soft bits, I use vinyl adhesive tape wrapped around the mouthpiece.

Nothing is truly necessary to smoke a tobacco pipe except a pipe, fire source, and tobacco. The rest are accessories for convenience, cleaning, or looks.
Not to hijack this thread... but

Any tips on keeping the tape secure?

I saw you mention the vinyl tape a few months back, so I purchased a roll as the softies are a bit too thick for my liking.

I know the tape is supposed to be self-adhesive, but I'm still struggling with unraveling from time-to-time.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Not to hijack this thread... but

Any tips on keeping the tape secure?

I saw you mention the vinyl tape a few months back, so I purchased a roll as the softies are a bit too thick for my liking.

I know the tape is supposed to be self-adhesive, but I'm still struggling with unraveling from time-to-time.
Tape it like a hockey stick. Apply pressure at the end of the tape to help stick.

I only smoke weekends so it's not as often as others. I get at least a month out of it and tape again as necessary.

Someone else suggested putting a soft bit on backwards to reduce the thickness, but I haven't tried it yet.

lkwttwkl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2023
Hong Kong
20230328_013506.jpg20230328_013359.jpg20230328_013326.jpg
Just trying to use these kind of products.Those have different brands,thickness,textures. Cut it in any shape you want. But it's a bit costly, hope it can run for a reasonable time.

Reactions: Browny and wyfbane

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I choose not to use those softie bits. You may enjoy them if your teeth are giving you trouble. Those things kind’ve gross me out as they trap all sorts of stuff underneath them. I’m also not in the least bit concerned with chatter on any of my stems, which you may or may not care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.