PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Usman

Lurker
Mar 19, 2022
Hi everyone,

There seems to be a problem with my new Andreas Bauer meerschaum pipe. I have removed the stem in order to pass a pipe cleaner through the shank into the bowl but it keeps on getting stuck midway in the shank and doesn't reach the bowl. I am assuming this is not normal for meerschaum pipes so can you please let me know how I can fix this problem?

Thank you.

Usman

Lurker
Mar 19, 2022
Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked after reading your message; I can blow through it.

Usman

Lurker
Mar 19, 2022
The problem is, I can't clean about half of the shank using a pipe cleaner. It seems to me to be a manufacutring flaw and I'm not sure how I can fix it without damaging my pipe.

Sparcdude

Lurker
Feb 9, 2023
New Hampshire
Well, you can blow through it, so things probably aren’t plugged up. It may be that you’re just missing the hole with the pipe cleaner. I have a few pipes where I have to do some wiggling and twisting to get the cleaner to go through. I’ve also used the pick on my Czech tool to “find” it. If you use the pick, however, be gentle as it’s a meer.

It’s aggravating and curious at the same time why the hole can’t be found sometimes…and I just realized I’ve set myself up for some “interesting” comments.

• Haha
Reactions: Usman

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
You could try (with the stem off) to gently - by hand! - twist a drill bit through the shank to the bottom of the bowl. I’d start with an underside bit . If that goes through okay then try a larger size. It may be that there’s an obstruction that will come free (something from the manufacturing process). If you are careful it should be fine.

G-beard

Lurker
Nov 20, 2023
Shine a flashlight down into the bowl while looking into the shank. This will allow you to see the outline/profile of the airway. If you have other pipes, do this to them as well, to give yourself an idea of what normal looks like. You can also do this with the stem on to see how well the stem aligns with the shank.

Usman

Lurker
Mar 19, 2022
Sorry for the late reply. Here's a photo of the pipe. No matter what I do, I can't pass a pipe cleaner through to the chamber.

IMG_20240215_192558202.jpg

Reactions: kcghost
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd send it back. This is one of the highest priorities with me for a pipe and I always ask if the pipe will cleanly and easily pass a pipe cleaner before I buy it. It shouldn't be that difficult, likely a poor drill. This will likely make some people shudder but if the seller won't take it back, buy a long 3 mm and 4 mm drill bit, try to ream it out a bit. Don't use too much pressure as you could ruin the pipe. But if I had to keep it and it wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner, I'd throw it away if I couldn't fix the problem anyway.

Crap drills and stems are the biggest shortcoming with Meers. That's why I sent my favorite Meer to Ryan Alden and paid him almost as much as the pipe cost to have a new stem made and he also tweeked the drills a bit. Worth every penny, the pipe now smokes fantastic.

Usman

Lurker
Mar 19, 2022
Yes, I think I will ask the retailer to fix it, if possible. Otherwise I will send it back. It's a pity because it's my first meerschaum pipe....

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I open the mortice draft hole by hand. Here’s what I use. I cut a piece of 1” wooden dowel rod cut 4” long. Drilled. 1/8” hole 3” deep. Then I put epoxy on the non-fluted part of the bit & inserted into dowell creating a grip.