PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wgstraub

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2021
Silver Spring, MD
This is probably a pretty elementary issue, so I'll apologize in advance for taking up everyone's time. I'm working on an estate purchase, a Vottis pot Algerian briar, that holds promise. The problem is I can't slide a pipe cleaner through the bore into the stem no matter how hard I try and I can't enter through the tenon because there's a metal filter firmly attached. There is air getting through -- I've blown into it -- and I'll have to clean the interior sooner or later. Any ideas? Thanks.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
This is probably a pretty elementary issue, so I'll apologize in advance for taking up everyone's time. I'm working on an estate purchase, a Vottis pot Algerian briar, that holds promise. The problem is I can't slide a pipe cleaner through the bore into the stem no matter how hard I try and I can't enter through the tenon because there's a metal filter firmly attached. There is air getting through -- I've blown into it -- and I'll have to clean the interior sooner or later. Any ideas? Thanks.
Put it in a baggie of alcohol.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The metal piece is not a filter but a stinger. It's purpose is to work as a condenser.

Almost all stingers can be removed - some simply pull out, others unscrew. Some may be "gummed" in place with inspissated tars and oils. Alcohol will help dissolve away the muck and make removal easier.

Whatever you do, do not use force.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
A little confused by your description, but the pipe cleaner should be inserted at the bit of the stem (that part you stick in your mouth). If you can separate the stem from the stummel, the metal "filter" can usually be pulled or screwed out. If it's stuck, you may have to moisten a pipe cleaner with alcohol and stick it in the bit end so that it can dissolve the tar holding it in place. Carefully heating the metal will do it too.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I've run into that problem a couple times with estate pipes. I have a set of small straw cleaning brushes ordered online and a syringe that I use to put everclear in the stem and let it sit for a few minutes. Then use the smallest brush to get some gunk out. Repeat the process over and over until I get larger brushes through and then finally a pipe cleaner. Took me forever on one stem.

Reactions: Laurent