PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
A while back I was chasing pipe mud, and had to give up because Scott over at Atristocob has apparently pulled th e plug and doesn't want any contact from people like me...after a few emails to him, I "got the message" when they went unanswered.
Tried the pipe ash trick. Very ground up. Very fine. Did two cobs and the result was miserable.
So, I'll use Mike's recipe, from over at Canerod Piper. I should have used that first up. Great recipe. Great result.
1 gram of Plaster of Paris.
.6 of a gram of activated charcoal.
.5 of a gram of salt.
I go a fraction less with the NaCl. Get a fair amount of humidity here. And Mike said that might be a wise decision.
The last time I used it, the result was ten out of ten!
So, I should have proceeded with what I knew worked, and worked well.
It is another case of "Captain Vacant Brain" strikes again!

Last edited by a moderator:

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
Yes, pipe mud/cement. It isn't just for coating the chamber. But it will do that job ell.
It sets nearly as good as the gear that Scott at Aristocob used to sell.
But I think this is slightly better as you can work it more easily. It doesn't stick so readily to whatever implement that is used.
Best of luck with it.

R.

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Yes, pipe mud/cement. It isn't just for coating the chamber. But it will do that job ell.
It sets nearly as good as the gear that Scott at Aristocob used to sell.
But I think this is slightly better as you can work it more easily. It doesn't stick so readily to whatever implement that is used.
Best of luck with it.

R.
Thanks.
My recipe for a good organic coating is ac powder, a few drops of demineralized water and a little icing sugar.
Not a pipe cement, only a coating. Dries rock hard.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, well, I don't know what that is. If it dries rock hard, why couldn't it be used for pipe mud?

R.
It's a chamber coat. Pipe mud isn't necessary for anything other than repair. Smoking a pipe will cause carbon buildup on its own.

Dec 10, 2013
Yeah, well, I don't know what that is. If it dries rock hard, why couldn't it be used for pipe mud?

R.
Activated charcoal powder :)
Never tried it as such.
I use water and oak ash for pipe cement, but will try your recipe too.
To me the cement is more of a filler, while to me pipe mud ( shallow layer ) is a coating to protect a chamber from burns.
Only semantics I quess.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Just out of curiosity, why are you using pipe mud (refractory cement) as a bowl coating?

Cobs are popular because they smoke cool and breath, lining them with refractory cement will wake them smoke hot and not breath.

Pipe mud is used for repairs like raising bowl floors and fixing deep burnouts. In cobs it's used to fill the area around the shank tenon in the bottom of the bowl.

Bowl coating is completely different, its essentially a premade cake (carbon). Its used by manufacturers to prevent burnout in new pipes while a cake is being established and by pipe repairmen to fix sidewall burnout.

Pipe mud= cigar ash/water
Bowl coating= fine activated carbon/sodium silicate (waterglass)

Dec 10, 2013
Just out of curiosity, why are you using pipe mud (refractory cement) as a bowl coating?

Cobs are popular because they smoke cool and breath, lining them with refractory cement will wake them smoke hot and not breath.

Pipe mud is used for repairs like raising bowl floors and fixing deep burnouts. In cobs it's used to fill the area around the shank tenon in the bottom of the bowl.

Bowl coating is completely different, its essentially a premade cake (carbon). Its used by manufacturers to prevent burnout in new pipes while a cake is being established and by pipe repairmen to fix sidewall burnout.

Pipe mud= cigar ash/water
Bowl coating= fine activated carbon/sodium silicate (waterglass)
Hi ,
I was confused ; it is a chamber coating I sometimes use when restoring an estate pipe ( for own use ) I suspect has not been smoked for a very long time to avoid cracks etc.. Mud/cement for repairs. The idea of using waterglass somehow palls. Please convince me waterglass is safe and tasteless.

Last edited:

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve used water glass (sodium silicate) a couple of times as a repair. Once it’s dried it becomes a glassy substance impervious to any temperatures your pipe will ever see in use. Exposing it to several hundred degrees while smoking will serve to further cure the water glass.

Zero flavor. No chance of liberating silica once it’s cured. It’s a glass.

I wouldn’t use it as a chamber coating, that would be like having a glass lined pipe.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
When you say, 'as a repair', I'm not quite clear on that. Do you mean for cracks & the like?

This chamber was damaged from more than likely a torch. Pipe mud to the rescue.

Also, you bring up a good topic.

Folks: what is the proper term for chamber damage? I use spidering, charing, and I’m curious if there is a term to describe charing in addition to the wood appearing dry or “vulnerable”.

Attachments

• IMG_8264.jpeg
    IMG_8264.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
Good example in the pic.
I'd use the charcoal pipe mud a la Canerodpiper, for that. Indeed, I've used it up until the other day when I used pipe ash. Last time for that stuff.

Jul 12, 2011
This chamber was damaged from more than likely a torch. Pipe mud to the rescue.

Also, you bring up a good topic.

Folks: what is the proper term for chamber damage? I use spidering, charing, and I’m curious if there is a term to describe charing in addition to the wood appearing dry or “vulnerable”.
That looks like someone dropped an M-80 into that hole

• Haha
Reactions: bayareabriar