PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have a bunch of pipes that as of yet I have not smoked. Someday I may get around to smoking them.

One that will most certainly never be smoked is 1904 Montague Freidlander billiard. It's age, and the fact that there's an inscription in the chamber precludes smoking it. I just enjoy looking at it from time to time.

530621AD-82F4-4D53-AF69-5EAA8BA49369.jpeg95130A8A-8877-48CE-B70D-83FBB36EB3B8.jpeg9822E7D0-013C-4E7E-A9C4-95A67FA430F7.jpegF6C44F2C-7F37-4BDF-93EE-3B430DA7F0DA.jpeg

ak2000

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 17, 2018
Illinois, USA
alphaprimecomm.com
I currently have several pipes that I have not smoked yet. About 9 if I recall. Several have never been smoked by anyone yet. (I buy lots on secondary market)
I have a similar situation as I tend to "collect" so I haven't gotten around to smoking a few yet. Though I plan to at some point except for some unsmoked vintage GBDs.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
And this Ivory pipe which I have not smoked for over 40years because of the extremely poor drilling. I bought it in the mid-70s when I knew nothing of what made a good pipe.View attachment 127828
Very cool to see this. I believe that is a World War 2 era Tsuge. I used to collect those pipes and most have carved briar bowls with a few varying themes, and ivory stems. Sailors and others purchased them as souvenirs.

I met Sab Tsuge at one of the Chicago pipe shows and he looked at one of my unsmoked peices and said "my father carved this pipe". I later gave it to Craig Tarler who was to meet with Sab (they were friends), and Craig gifted it to Sab.

I have only one pipe like the one you are showing, and mine will remain unsmoked as well. Drilling on mine appears good, it's a screw in ivory tenon.

They are fairly rare and the collector market for these seems small. But as you say, the whole pipe appears to be ivory, so they may have some value.

And on topic, I have a dozen or so unsmoked peices. Too pretty and (some) historically significant to smoke.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Harris,
Obviously "delayed gratification" is NOT in your vocabulary ?
I don't even know what that expression means. I have been that way since I was a kid. If I got a new basketball or Hockey stick or tennis racquet, I could go on. My first set of golf clubs were nice as they were my dad's hand me downs. It was a set of Ultrdyne 2's all tour blades . Made by the Walter Hagen company. I could never play cavity backs, forged blades or forget it. My set I have now are a custom fit set of Titleist Tour Blades. 2-PW the 3 Vokey Oil Can wedges. I could hit my two iron better than my 3 wood. Plus I was a genius at hitting low hooks and low fades out of the woods. My clubs sit in my garage as I cannot hit a ball anymore. my back is fried and I will never play again.
I played with Wilson Staff tennis racquets and always had 3 and I had a local guy who strung them quite often. I was picky as hell about my strings. Once I bought my own sports equipment I always bought 2-3 . I have 3 Lacrosse sticks as I would play catch with my boys. If I hadn't been the number one tennis player my junior and senior years I would have made the Lacrosse team. I could shoot real hard and I had wicked elbows and used them quite often.