PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rorrer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2014
Lockhart, Texas USA
I was surprised at how low this pipe sold for. I was focusing on winning the KB&B Blue Line Bakelite which I didn't win. I would've gladly paid more than the winning bid for that Premier.
Well, I would have gladly let it go for more, too. ;-)

Ebay is such a crapshoot. I try to keep my expectations low.

C.Rorrer

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Well, I would have gladly let it go for more, too. ;-)

Ebay is such a crapshoot. I try to keep my expectations low.

C.Rorrer
Well it seems like you got a great price for the KB&B so I hope it balances out. Why did you decide to get rid of the KB&B? I think you mentioned it in the listing but I can't remember anymore.

Reactions: briarbuck

rorrer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2014
Lockhart, Texas USA
Well it seems like you got a great price for the KB&B so I hope it balances out. Why did you decide to get rid of the KB&B? I think you mentioned it in the listing but I can't remember anymore.
I'd had these for a long time, so it worked out well.

I was letting go of both of those pipes because I just hadn't been smoking them much, and they are such beautiful vintage pieces that I decided they'd probably be better in the hands of a collector (which I am not). I do have a couple of other favorite KB&B Blue Lines that are among my favorites ... but they're broken in to the point that I can just enjoy them and not worry too much about destroying their collectible value.

Best regards,
C.Rorrer

robbie

Lurker
Feb 1, 2022
Scottish Borders
If you haven't smoked them enough to saturate the chamber with oils from the tobacco, they can often mute flavors.
Thats interesting to know. I had a meerschaum once and was disappointed it muted the flavours, ended up selling it. I have a savinelli canadian that mutes flavours, I wondered if all canadians do this? I think the long shank absorbs moisture and flavours.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thats interesting to know. I had a meerschaum once and was disappointed it muted the flavours, ended up selling it. I have a savinelli canadian that mutes flavours, I wondered if all canadians do this? I think the long shank absorbs moisture and flavours.
Entirely possible.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This 1917 BBB bent billiard is yet to be smoked.
I've earmarked it for my birthday later in the year when I'll also be opening a couple of birth year cognacs.View attachment 127826
Wet the chamber walls with water before you smoke it, and smoke it super slow. Don't even try to keep it going. Once you have a protective carbon insulation you can smoke it in a more normal manner. But go too fast and hot and it may crack.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Wet the chamber walls with water before you smoke it, and smoke it super slow. Don't even try to keep it going. Once you have a protective carbon insulation you can smoke it in a more normal manner. But go too fast and hot and it may crack.
Jesse,
Thanks for the reminder. I will be very careful.

I'm still traumatised by the 1921 Loewe bent billiard that cracked all along the shank when I fired it up the first time. Luckily it is an army/military mount with a silver ferrule. I have smoked it since, with no issues.

I suspect I did not allow the shank sufficient time to dry out properly after cleaning it. The shank and mortise was so heavily tarred up that I left alcohol-soaked cleaners in for over 48 hours. These days I allow at least 2 weeks for shanks to dry after an alcohol treatment.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon