Ham or not?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
Just renewed my license. Haven't been active in years.
That's me too, I keep my license because I don't want to retest and I know someday I might want to get back into it. I'm mostly HF these days, and I cant afford even an entry level rig / Antenna set up so I just don't bother.

Reactions: docrameous

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
That's me too, I keep my license because I don't want to retest and I know someday I might want to get back into it. I'm mostly HF these days, and I cant afford even an entry level rig / Antenna set up so I just don't bother.
Sold my HF rig years ago. I have a very old, low powered, 2 meter, like 4 little wheels to set the frequency, and a CB converted to ten meters. Oh, and an antenna tuner. Always figured I could get on 10 if I felt like it with any old thing as an antenna, but sunspots are supposed to be non-existent right now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Had a Heathkit receiver when I was a teenager, but I didn't build it. It was good listening. I never got up momentum to follow through. Both the Morse Code and the electronics were daunting. In the Navy, I went to radioman school: basic electronics; radioman; and an added Morse Code school. I was a hard working radioman on a minesweeper for about a year, then changed rating to do journalism, specifically a primitive newspaper on Midway Island, which I enjoyed doing a lot, similar to a small town paper. But the ship was a total experience, worth the detour. A guy on Midway did a lot of hobby radio working a citizen band radio off the atmosphere and talking all over the world. That might have been about my speed if I'd gotten back to it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Had a Heathkit receiver when I was a teenager, but I didn't build it. It was good listening. I never got up momentum to follow through. Both the Morse Code and the electronics were daunting. In the Navy, I went to radioman school: basic electronics; radioman; and an added Morse Code school. I was a hard working radioman on a minesweeper for about a year, then changed rating to do journalism, specifically a primitive newspaper on Midway Island, which I enjoyed doing a lot, similar to a small town paper. But the ship was a total experience, worth the detour. A guy on Midway did a lot of hobby radio working a citizen band radio off the atmosphere and talking all over the world.

Reactions: docrameous and logs

Ora Pro Nobis

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
I'm a HAM. I mostly do VHF/UHF, but I am a licensed General. I just haven't had the time to set up my HF. The local HAM scene is dead in my area so the motivation is not there. We are also doing some house renovations so I haven't relocated my shack. I'll get around to it.

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Currently studying for my General since we’re all stuck at home. Nothing on TV I want to watch during the day anyway. And I can’t clean the garage out anymore than I already have. That would mean throwing stuff out!

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
HAM radio rocks and it has never been easier to get into. My big idea is to build a combo home office / ham shack / man cave in the back yard. The man cave portion is so that I have somewhere to smoke inside. I think DXing while smoking could be an awesome combo!

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Currently studying for my General since we’re all stuck at home. Nothing on TV I want to watch during the day anyway. And I can’t clean the garage out anymore than I already have. That would mean throwing stuff out!
When it comes to morse code, read about the best memorization practices with minimum total time input and it worked for me.
10 minutes a day, but *every day*. You can do it every single day if you know it's a short thing, and that is supposedly the minimum total time investment.
Doesn't work if you cheat.

I quickly forgot code once I passed the exam. Thus my renewing though not active. Renewing is super easy now. You go to the FCC site, set up an account, and fill out a short form. No charge, and they don't even send a paper license. Just check back in a few days to make sure it went through.

Dottleganger

Lurker
Dec 22, 2019
Monroe, VA
Been a ham since 1977, after retirement relocated from Virginia Beach to Amherst county near Lynchburg so could put a tower up, 86’ motorized free-standing crank up/tiltover with Steppir 20 - 6 meter yagi at 90’ and Arrow Antenna 2 meter/70 cm v-beam at 106’, fully filtered Orion II and Acom 2000 from tower via underground conduit to dedicated basement walled off ham shack/music studio/smoking lounge with fridge, sofa, and 8 speaker home theatre.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
When it comes to morse code, read about the best memorization practices with minimum total time input and it worked for me.
10 minutes a day, but *every day*. You can do it every single day if you know it's a short thing, and that is supposedly the minimum total time investment.
Doesn't work if you cheat.

I quickly forgot code once I passed the exam. Thus my renewing though not active. Renewing is super easy now. You go to the FCC site, set up an account, and fill out a short form. No charge, and they don't even send a paper license. Just check back in a few days to make sure it went through.
There’s no more code requirement anymore either

Reactions: Bowie

Dottleganger

Lurker
Dec 22, 2019
Monroe, VA
ARRL website is good source for licensing and range of operating activities in which radio amateurs can participate. I operate primarily CW (continuous wave telegraphy), i.e. Morse code but there are many other modes available. Ham radio is like pipes and tobacco in one key aspect in that devotees pick and choose what interests, sometimes through trial and error, continually refining interests and preferences. Also the Internet makes available a wealth of information along with the risks and benefits therein.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
HAM radio is still a significant back-up to other forms of communication even in the world of cell phones and devices. In various emergencies and/or disasters, they can provide a channel when other means fail. Now it is sort of a throw-back, like telegraphy, but an effective one.

Reactions: docrameous

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I'm a HAM. I mostly do VHF/UHF, but I am a licensed General. I just haven't had the time to set up my HF. The local HAM scene is dead in my area so the motivation is not there. We are also doing some house renovations so I haven't relocated my shack. I'll get around to it.

Today, VHF/UHF during the "lock down" is very active at my location. It has been quiet for some time however. HF phone has a lot of activity though and I would encourage you to get set up. I am on 75 M each morning with a group with members from Southern California to Oregon. Hopefully, when the sun spot minimum is over we can all enjoy DX.

Reactions: Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.