PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
Curious to hear some other people thoughts and experiences on exercising/working out and how their pipe smoking affects it. I try to run 15~20 miles a week, and rock climb regularly both outdoors and in the gym. I love smoking a pipe a few hours after a good workout, and don't really feel it negatively affects my performance. I would eventually like to train for, and run, a marathon and am wondering if anyone here has done so. Do you feel like your pipe smoking habits affect the way that you exercise and stay in shape?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've found that my bad knees, bad ankles, bad back, and bad shoulder affects me more than pipe smoking ever has. I was very active in my younger days with athletics, and weightlifting. Over the years all my sports injuries have caught up with me. Some days I think I can still do certain activities, and I realize more and more that my body can't keep up anymore. Getting old sucks! I do try to go to the gym and exercise when I can, and I haven't noticed my pipe smoking to affect my exercise.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I used to run my four miles at lunch with a camel hanging out of my mouth. I was fifty years younger then. I now get my exercise hiking into shoot wildlife or logging dead trees on my property. I'm usually doing such with a pipe, cigar or cigarette in me mouth.
I did basic at Benning in 1989, one of our Drills would go on our 2 and 5 mile runs and he would run up and down the line (yelling at people of course) but he'd do it smoking a Marlboro Red, he used to get his jollies by taking big hits and blowing them out so the smoke when right down the line to choke people out. I was a couple a pack a day smoker before basic, my last 2 packs when in the Amnesty barrels in the reception battalion building. Man i remember the bus driver told us when we were 5 miles from base and "time to smoke while you can boys" and everyone on that bus lit up even people that didn't smoke LOL we chain smoked for a slow 5 miles it was insane.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I lose enough weight not doing anything, strenuous exercise would be a death sentence.
if you want to become a conman we can sell your "secret" on youtube. Sorry any chance to make fun of the d-bags that try and sell weight lose lies on youtube. Well I'll keep making fun of them until I can get them in face slapping distance.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I used to smoke and inhale at least a pack of Marlboros a day when I was a sprinter and hurdler in high school on the track team. It didn’t affect me at all. I even lettered. I now smoke pipes and an occasional cigar but do not inhale. I work out on the treadmill daily and haven't noticed any difficulty..
And you have survived on this Forum longer than me Warren.:)