PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I recently made myself a classic ships carpenter adze (to adze to my tool collection) at a local forge. The blacksmith did all the brain work, I was just swinging the sledgehammer all day. We made it out of a block of wagon axle iron with a piece of spring steel fire welded into the blade for carbon.

Anyway, I put a handle on and spent a couple of hours hacking away at various bits of wood and finding there is more technique than I had anticipated, and remembered this gem of a video with its adze swinging example. I thought I would share it, because it is the perfect blend of craftsmanship and pipe smoking!

Craftsman of Kilburn

I make furniture and built in cabinetry mostly, and am daily smoking my pipe in the workshop, and I find this video to be very satisfying watching.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I recently made myself a classic ships carpenter adze (to adze to my tool collection) at a local forge. The blacksmith did all the brain work, I was just swinging the sledgehammer all day. We made it out of a block of wagon axle iron with a piece of spring steel fire welded into the blade for carbon.

Anyway, I put a handle on and spent a couple of hours hacking away at various bits of wood and finding there is more technique than I had anticipated, and remembered this gem of a video with its adze swinging example. I thought I would share it, because it is the perfect blend of craftsmanship and pipe smoking!

Craftsman of Kilburn

I make furniture and built in cabinetry mostly, and am daily smoking my pipe in the workshop, and I find this video to be very satisfying watching.
Thank you so much for posting the video.

Reactions: mortonbriar

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I consider furniture making and relief carving to be the acme of woodcraft. I wish I had the resources to try small furniture projects but alas, I live in an apartment. Although I don't do relief carving, I do enjoy chip carving and whittling.
IMG_0532.JPG64912298519__D5A288B6-1D37-4F31-9680-A3C3F9A102DC.JPGIMG_2127.JPG

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Only thing I can made is a snake.. with mouth closed and blind.
My dad used to bring a handful of knives camping and he would give one to any kid around to whittle with. When the kid expressed hesitancy or doubted their ability to carve he would tell them "whittling is just making big sticks small, see?" In my whole childhood I never saw him attempt to carve a shape, just year after year of meditative blind snakes ha.

Reactions: bullet08