PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
Title edited. Rule 9.

Well it’s been 6 months since I’ve started smoking a pipe and I have to say thank you to all the kind folks here for the advice and generosity I’ve received. I’ve learned so much in this short time, I’ve met some cool people, several makers including Scott Thile(!) and I’ve been able to sample a ton of great tobacco thanks to friends and strangers alike.

I’m including a few photos of my current “cellar” consisting of the jarred tobacco plus a couple of tins and a bunch of samples in Mylar bags. I currently own 9 pipes and my absolute favorite is my pre-republic Peterson hamrock that I purchased for 7 dollars and refurbished myself.

I haven’t found a “favorite” tobacco because there are so many that I’ve enjoyed immensely but I gravitate to VaPers then English blends. The best advice I’ve received about tobacco was to stay away from aromatics to start. There has been only one blend I’ve tried that I absolutely detested-Haunted Bookshop-though I’ll likely revisit it in the future.

I’m really looking forward to many years of relaxing with my pipe and enjoying the company of fellow pipe smokers. Happy smoking!

9A1DD417-90B4-4765-919C-2688C5D8542C.jpegF0E9628A-82CA-4A5A-A49F-B496D8AE027D.jpegED216558-5A58-4C15-B927-403D3F64FE86.jpeg8AB4C595-3BE9-4028-BE98-56D1EBA5F0E7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You're making great progress. ?

I smoked a pipe in the '70s and stopped for 30 years.
I returned to pipe smoking again a few years back (after 15 years of cigars exclusively).
I discovered these Forums, and sites like TobaccoReviews, and Pipedia
as well as retailers (majority of the Forums site sponsors)

I've learnt so much about pipes and tobacco, and consequently enjoying my pipes more, than my previous time.

puffy

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Don't give up on the Haunted Bookshop (or other burley blends). When I first tried them, they tasted like acrid "smoke" (think old cigarette). After 6 months of smoking other VA blends, etc. I came back and was able to enjoy the burleys. Now they are in my permanent rotation.

I think my biggest issue was smoking them too fast. Try them again after a while and go slow.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
You are doing great. Don't forget the Codger blends (Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half and Half, Carter Hall, Granger etc.) and Match blends (Field and Stream, Holiday Mixture, Rum and Maple, Hines Mixture, etc.). These are all tobaccos that have stood the passing of time, and for a reason- they are good. Don't go overboard with any of them until you know what you like or you'll have a garage full of tobaccos and no place to park the car.

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Wow..... nice bro! ? ? ? I also started smoking pipes about the same time as you. But I don't have so many tobacco, coz I always buy 100g, and usually wait until I finish only change to the next tobacco ?. But I have many pipes, PAD kicked in ? Up to date, I have 16 pipes, which are briar, meerschaums, corn cobs. Which means, I get about 2 pipes averagely each month ?

I guess the reason not to start with aromatic is because aromatic usually smoke hotter and it'll be harder for new pipe smoker to control the puff and the temperature of the bowl? I started quite the opposite way, I started with aromatic, and still smoking aromatic at the moment, only aromatic. i wanted to try all the aromatic, pick the one I like the most, then only move on to other tobacco ?.

Glad that you like it and stay on bro! I like pipe smoking very much! ?

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
View attachment 152054
In the famous words of Ron Burgundy! :) I'm only four months into pipe smoking and am up to six pipes and several tobaccos, much like yourself. Never knew how fun this would be. I like the way you have uniform and organized jars and the nice pipe rack!
Thanks! I actually made the rack myself. I kept looking for one but I had a little time and finally just made one.