PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I hardly smoke in public mostly because the wind is a good smokes enemy and secondly conversation ruins a good pipe. If I'm out and about and want to be social it's cigarettes or cigars, if no smoking is allowed it's snuff. I just like nicotine and flavor when possible. As far as how I am perceived by others, especially strangers? I have better things to think about. But I really think as I've seen reflected in a few other replies, that's just an age thing. Life is too short to worry about the eye rolls and snickering of the ignorant masses.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
I'm old enough and jacked enough to never be mistaken for "a poser or even hipster"...that said, the majority of my smoking is done in and around my house. The only opinions I care about are my wife and kids. On the rare times I do smoke in public, my level of f*cks given drops to zero, in the event someone was to complain or have a snide comment. This has yet to happen and if anything, it's been comments like: "you smoke a pipe? That's pretty cool."

BTW, if you do come across people who believe you are trying to look more intellectual, the proper response is to sit back, lift your arms at the elbows, bring your hands together and press all your fingertips together, look at them, raise an eyebrow, and simply respond with, "hmmm...."

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I can’t recall a single negative reaction from others in public. I usually get a lot of compliments which, depending on my mood, can make me kind of uncomfortable. Every now and then I get weird cheers from high school kids, and I know they aren’t cheering me on for smoking tobacco. The one that bugs me the most is when someone tries to bum a cigarette off me, I mean, they can clearly see I’m smoking a pipe… I don’t get that one and it happens pretty often. They get annoyed that I don’t happen to have a cigarette on me.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
In New Zealand 2023, it is just an oddity. It gets assumed to be a vaping instrument by the distracted majority, observed fondly for grandad by a few older people, and otherwise ignored.

I don't think people know how to assign status to the pipe down here right now. Fine by me, I don't assign status to it either, I just smoke it.

In traffic I get very positive affirmations, but I think that is mostly because people think it is funny that I am driving 'stoned'.

People seem to have a status place filled for cigars still however, fancy cologne, leather shoes, self importance etc.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I live in a tobacco friendly community in Central Kentucky. I regularly use multiple tobacco products at home, in public, and at work and no one so much as bats an eye.

View attachment 240296
I love the Camel Wides (though I smoke the menthol). Sooooo smooth, and way better than the regular Camels. Smoked them for years, but appreciate them even more since I started smoking pipe and expanded my palate.

That added cocoa flavor with the turkish leaf is so good. 🤌

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I've only received a few comments when smoking a pipe in public. A college kid wanted to know if I was smoking pot then proceeded to compliment my cool pipe and ask where I got it (ButzChoquin Fait Main Calabash); a middle aged guy stopped next to me at a red light and told me he hadn't seen someone smoking a pipe in over 35 years ! ; my office neighbor asked if I was smoking pot then told me the tobacco smelled good (???). The problem in my area is that all the "tobacco" shops are really "head" shops that sell cigarettes and vape products. The classic pipe shops are all gone.
As for smoking in public I don't really care as so many people are smoking pot and vaping, and its not tolerant to comment on that so it shouldn't matter to anyone that I smoke a pipe either.
All the gas stations sell vapes, cigar tubes and glass pipes too.

Reactions: JOHN72

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Sort of off topic but funny to me. I once was travelling for business and had to overnight in a small town in Alabama. I was staying at one of the older Holiday Inns which had the attached lounge. I went into the lounge one evening to have a couple of cold ones and a cigar. The entire lounge was filled with a blue haze of cigarette smoke. As I cut my cigar and was beginning to light it, the bartender asked me not to smoke my cigar as the smell might offend the other patrons. I thought that was pretty funny.
Here in AZ, cigars are still acceptable, almost more so than cigarettes. Smoking in public places is not legal except outdoors (bar patios etc). What’s funny is I’ve been in places where folks are puffing cigars and smoking cigarette and have seen a guy been asked to not smoke a pipe-go figure…

I’ve been smoking a pipe for less than a year and haven’t found any issues. I’ve got many friends that smoke cigars, and when we’re together they light up cigars and I light a pipe, no one cares. I use an air freshener (vape) for my primary nicotine intake, and everyone is used to that as they were used to me smoking cigarettes until about 5 years ago.
I smoke a pipe because I want to, I’m courteous about those around me and adjust to the environment, as I do with any of my actions.
As to what others may think of me?
The biggest spiritual and mental health advances in my life came after I seriously quit giving a flying *+*+ about what people think of me.
Freedom is about me doing what I like without impinging on you doing what you like. I have zero greed for the acceptance and approval of others.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
What’s funny is I’ve been in places where folks are puffing cigars and smoking cigarette and have seen a guy been asked to not smoke a pipe-go figure…
Way back when smoking was allowed on planes (in the 1970s-80s) I was about to light up my pipe when I was told in no uncertain term by the female flight attendant that pipes were not allowed. Whilst all around me were cigarette smokers.
I almost always smoke room-note friendly blends when I'm in public. And take great care to rest my pipes as I am not fond of rank pipe smells
I just thought it politic not to argue the point and put my pipe away. :mad:

That still rankles to this day because of the false perception that pipes are smelly when in fact cigarettes, weed and even cigars are more odoriferous.

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
I smoke primarily at home and when I am camping or doing other "outdoorsy" stuff.
On the rare occasions I smoke in public I have never had an. issues.
Of course, I've been told that I resemble the stereotypical " grouchy old man" so maybe that has something to do with it. 👺
"

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I'm always surprised at the need, often on this site, that smokers are concerned at how they are percieved by non-smokers. So concerned about the subject that they ask smokers about it. Shouldn't the question be directed to those observing the smokers?

I, and others here, aren't concerned in the least with how others see us. What's the point? I suppose, if you are using the pipe as an affectation, the opinion of how others see you would be important as feedback as to whether or not you are succeeding in putting across the image you are striving for.

Why should they do so? Not everyone cares about the personal and selfish choices of others. If they do, I suspect friends are usually tolerant of their friends poor choices.
While I understand the frustration at some of us here trying to "look good" to our fellow man, I really do get that frustration, I think it showcases the broad cross section of humanity that make up our membership here. I'd be very shocked to learn that a man in his mid to upper 50s was concerned about the impression he was fining to the general public. But I'd be even more shocked to find a man in his 20s who didn't care. And, although it has little to do with smoking, in my mid 40s I still take a look in the mirror before I head out to make sure I look presentable.

He might be smoking his pipe the way I ride my motorcycle; as an ambassador of the hobby. Using tobacco is becoming more and more an activity to be shunned, along with the user, according to my local court of public opinion. Trying to put a good face on it can go much further than putting on the curmudgeon face. If being a good ambassador is a goal for anyone.

You are correct in that nobody here really cares about what you're smoking in what pipe, at least beyond the threads that ask (WAYS, Show US Your Blank, T/PAD acquisitions, etc). But he wasn't asking us what we thought of his smoking a pipe. He's asking what we saw others think of us. In such a broad multicultural group as this, spanning at least 4 continents and God knows how many countries, it is an interesting question taking more of a worldwide pulse of people on the ground (rather than public health officials or celebrities or whatever).