PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
As I reached for the jar I noticed this:

PipeTobaccoHeartbreak1.jpg
PipeTobaccoHeartbreak2.jpg

With magnification it's fluffy, not crystal-like. I've used the contents as a blender for a long time, opening it infrequently. It's never even been obviously damp. It's been many years since I had mold in jarred tobacco & I remember it well - I was a jar of Gallaher's Rich Dark Honeydew!

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Educate me please. Those white dots are mold and it means the contents are trash?
Yes, mold. Pretty much trash at this point, unless you want to risk introducing mold particles/molecules into your mouth and possibly lungs. Better to err on the side of caution and dispose. Unfortunately, it happens from time to time.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
As a scientist I'd say that there is a good chance that those white fluffy specks are in fact salt crystal blooms, the product of sublimation. The crystals of some salts are fluffy and not "crystal-like" at all. Mold and fungi tend to like to grow on organic substrate (though, not always) and in this case these appear to be on glass (non-nutrient) and there are no fungal hyphae connecting the lumps to the paper or tobacco.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I’ve always wondered if putting the tin wrapper inside of the jar is a good idea, no idea if that’s the cause but my condolences on the loss, good perique is common, great perique is rare.

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
As a scientist I'd say that there is a good chance that those white fluffy specks are in fact salt crystal blooms, the product of sublimation. The crystals of some salts are fluffy and not "crystal-like" at all. Mold and fungi tend to like to grow on organic substrate (though, not always) and in this case these appear to be on glass (non-nutrient) and there are no fungal hyphae connecting the lumps to the paper or tobacco.
Perhaps, but in my most humble opinion, is it worth the possible health risks for a small jar of smoking tobacco? One's health is a precious thing and the cost of medical care has never been higher. Trust me, I hate to throw away tobacco but in cases where I can't conclusively determine the nature of the substance, I'm going to eliminate any possibility of a negative outcome and simply toss it. When I compare the cost of tobacco with the cost of medical treatment and a possible hospital stay, the choice, at least for me, is an easy one.

Reactions: yanoJL and Scottmi

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Perhaps, but in my most humble opinion, is it worth the possible health risks for a small jar of smoking tobacco? One's health is a precious thing and the cost of medical care has never been higher. Trust me, I hate to throw away tobacco but in cases where I can't conclusively determine the nature of the substance, I'm going to eliminate any possibility of a negative outcome and simply toss it. When I compare the cost of tobacco with the cost of medical treatment and a possible hospital stay, the choice, at least for me, is an easy one.
It's a matter of personal choice, I suppose. But if it's worth creating a thread about "heartbreak" then I'd say it meets the threshold for following up with actual examination under a microscope. There are lots of "mold or plume" threads here and were it not for further inspection lots of good tobacco would've gone into the garbage.

What I'm saying, in other words, is that it seems to me that what the OP has observed does not yet meet the threshold for proof-positive mold infection.

Reactions: FLDRD and litup

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I feel your pain. I had the exact same thing happen with the same tobacco several years ago.

I used the tin for occasional blending over several months and then one day it was covered in mold.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
They look like they on the paper, not the glass. They rather look like eggs to me!