PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Hi all, I'm just wondering as a new pipe smoker if it's worth having a sherlock holmes/lord of the rings type of pipe or is it just down to personal preference.
Personal preference. Buy what you like otherwise you won't use it and then it's just sitting around doing nothing. Nobody wants that.

Also, I have neither one of the types of pipes listed and I am perfectly happy.

Reactions: Geordie lad

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Making your pipe choices on what fictional characters smoked may not be a good substitution to study and reason. puffy
I must admit that I love to have pipes that remind me of revered characters in literature or real life. Sean O'Casey...Samuel Clemens....C. S. Lewis....Sir Douglas Bader....etc.
But, addressing yourself to learning how to smoke, may be a better idea in the beginning......

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
Going a different direction here but it seems as though your enamored with the lagend of the pipe. If that is the case then just having a LOTR pipe for even an occasional smoke might be worth the expense. As has been pointed out, this is a very personal choice. Good luck...

Reactions: Geordie lad

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Obviously there are associations that attract us to certain pipes or tobacco. For myself, it's been more along the tobacco lines - Capstan Blue for Tolkien, Doblono d'Oro because someone said it most resembled the Three Nuns that C.S. Lewis smoked, Drucquer's Inns of Court for the Antarctic expeditions...you get the idea. Maybe pipes, it's been more the shapes - a pic of Julio Cortazar with a billard pipe or Paolo Becker with one of those thin stemmed Canadian pipes of his. I've bought three Blatter pipes because they're from Montreal, and I wanted to honor their heritage in the city. But obviously, tobacco is a little easier on the purse strings. At the end of the day, we're attracted to pipes for all different kinds of reasons. But what we want, no matter what, is that it's a good smoker.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I buy pipes based on their looks, as in "I really like the look of that pipe"

I do have a gourd calabash which I use mainly for nicotine heavy blends.
The air chamber gives a very dry, cool smoke. The air/smoke mixture ameliorates the Nic hit substantially.
The meerschaum bowl is quite small, but gives me a 20min smoke.
I don't use it a lot because its large overall size makes it cumbersome. You have to be sitting down.

I don't have a churchwarden. But I have a "semi" churchwarden (one with a longer than normal stem - just not of churchwarden length.
I found lighting it more problematic because of the length of the stem and the forward canted bowl.
Again not a favourite until I got a new, shorter stem made for it.
And yes, you have to get longer pipe cleaners for those - no mean feat in the 1970s before online sales and only a very limited number of B&M tobacconists in Sydney, Oz.

I did have a meerschaum trombone (long shanked) figural which I hardly smoked.
It had a very restricted draw due to its multiple nylon tenons.
The length made lighting a chore.
Smoked a few times before storing it for years and finally gifted.

Just my personal experiences.
Others may have much more positive comments.

Reactions: tklee

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
When the Lord of the Rings movies came out I was still in the pipe business and saw a flood of churchwardens hit the market. Almost without exception these were cheap pipes made for people who thought Gandolf was cool. I never tried one myself, but was told by others they all smoked terrible. puffy

Reactions: FLDRD

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Hi all, I'm just wondering as a new pipe smoker if it's worth having a sherlock holmes/lord of the rings type of pipe or is it just down to personal preference.
After fifty years of pipe smoking, I honestly believe a large Peterson System pipe #307 is the first pipe a beginner should buy.

Peterson System Standard Heritage 307 Tobacco Pipe https://a.co/d/iwSb9RK

It only costs $100.

It’s brand new, huge, beautiful, and made by a 150 year old famous maker.

It will need broken in, you must keep a system pipe clean, and folks will point at you and say

Heyyyy

Sherlock Holmes!!!

But try a Pete 307.

If you drop it in the lake while fishing you loose a hundred bucks.

Otherwise, if this isn’t a hundred dollars worth of pipe, what is?

4C870978-2805-4009-A8F0-CE76F8478EEE.jpeg

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Oh really thought he did, in your eyes what would be the best pipe to use as a beginner, I already have a corn pipe and a couple of falcons.
He did not. And Sherlock smoked a Cherrywood and a clay black from use, not a Calabash like on stage productions. I would recommend a briar pipe that catches your eye, but from a reputable maker. Honestly, though, the best recommendation is to get a pipe that speaks to you so you'll want to smoke it. If that is a churchwarden or calabash, then go for it.

Geordie lad

Lurker
Aug 23, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, England.
City centre somewhere........Cigar club Newcastle it's called.
Ah OK will have a look
He did not. And Sherlock smoked a Cherrywood and a clay black from use, not a Calabash like on stage productions. I would recommend a briar pipe that catches your eye, but from a reputable maker. Honestly, though, the best recommendation is to get a pipe that speaks to you so you'll want to smoke it. If that is a churchwarden or calabash, then go for it.
That's really helpful thank you.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
This one

I think would be a good example of a nice starter pipe, almost like a church warden, and slight hobbit vibe.
Prince is a great shape, Rossi makes a nice one too a bit cheaper , I have a Ropp churchwarden also ,tends to smoke pretty hot but maybe the walls are a bit thin.
A standard/common shape might be a billiard or if you prefer a bent billiard. Once you get into the hobby you might find different tobaccos go with different pipe shapes or you will find shapes that appeal to your specific personality stuff like that right now it’s wide open…
have fun and don’t spend too much until, you know you are committed then put a lean on your home….🤣🤣🤣

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
I love LOTR and decided to go another direction with a churchwarden. I have a Mark Tinsky pipe I thought would work nicely with a churchwarden stem, so I sent it all to Mark and he made me the additional stem. I like it this way in that I can use that pipe with the original stem or the churchwarden.
IMG_0865.JPG

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I noticed on Ebay the other day that there are some new Savinelli filter pipes available at about $60-70. Looks pretty nice to me and should be great for a new smoker. I've smoked my Raleigh and aromatics in Savinelli filters for many years. puffy

Reactions: vosBghos

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Once all the fun of having few dozens of pipes wear off, you and up with few you always go back to. Problem is, going through crap load of pipes to find them. Or stick to Peterson and you won't regret much. Unless you don't like Peterson.