Pipe Used By Edward G Robinson In 'The Stranger' Movie.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I was smoking a bowl of Ed in my calabash gourd pipe last night, out on the porch with some coffee, and enjoying this Groucho Marx interview:

The interview ended and I still had over half a bowl left so I checked what Edward G had on netflix, since I was smoking his blend. I know 'The Stranger' has popped up in conversation here in the past due to his smoking a pipe in nearly every scene but I was wanting to know if anyone knew what pipe he was smoking since I particularly like it's aesthetics.

Oh and by the way, a WARNING for those who have not seen this movie before, this was made in 1946 before politically correct hollywood had to comply with such statements as "No pipes were harmed during the making of this film". WIthin a few moments of the opening scene a pipe is dashed to the table with such force that the tenon is snapped AND a finished pipe bowl is rapped against a metal railing to empty the ashes :eek:

Isaac.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The Stranger is a good movie, I've seen it a few times. Here is a photo of the pipe which he repairs with tape. E.G.R. smokes this damaged pipe throughout the entire movie.
The_Stranger_3 - Edited (1).png
If you have the opportunity to watch The Stranger...do it.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Oh the band is tape, I thought it was ivory or something!!! that makes sense for his character, with his one track mind, restless obsessive detective thing going on, leaves town with only one pipe, refusing to change it out even when he breaks it...

I will read that article, thanks scloyd.

Yes, I am kind of expecting Jiminks to chime in too...

Reactions: JimInks and jpmcwjr

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Oh the band is tape, I thought it was ivory or something!!! that makes sense for his character, with his one track mind, restless obsessive detective thing going on, leaves town with only one pipe, refusing to change it out even when he breaks it...

I will read that article, thanks scloyd.

Yes, I am kind of expecting Jiminks to chime in too...
I agree that the pipe says a great deal about Robinson's character. It's the only thing he is sentimental about. It shows thrift as well as serving as an identifier to part of his character. He clearly loves smoking that particular pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.