Pipes and Cigars Online Store. Never Again.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In days of yore, when blenders had reliable contracts with particular growers, crops from several years would be blended to reduce the year by year variation. Think of it as homogenization. Then, adjustments would be made to the flavorings to further enhance the stability of a blend. I think that the end of subsidies to tobacco farmers really set off the changes we're seen over the last 8 or so years.
personally I like a bit of inconsistency. Though there is a point where it is no longer the blend of theseus no matter what the tin says.
I think the most obvious solution is to start pricing pipe tobacco the same way cigars are priced. You want that leaf even as a condiment? Well it will cost you the price of giving the farmer a reason to farm it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The problem there is that you just don't know how it will turn out. So much is dependent upon the weather. And so much intergenerational farming knowledge has already been lost as family farms have stopped planting tobacco, farms are sold, etc. Used to be that pipe tobacco buyers would go to auction and buy the pick of the crop. Simply hiring a farmer to grow something doesn't mean that the resulting product will be anything more that run of the mill.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@woodsroad : You know Dan I miss your simple and to the point summaries of the problems. C.I are a funny bunch of guys, I remember meeting the President with Dan once and commenting that they must have hired an actor out of central casting to play the President. Apparently the really clever people work in the 'Cigar Division' as I remember being told the Deeming Regulations were good news since it would reduce the number of blends down and simplify the business model. I remember saying that I could hardly wait to buy a tin of 'Peoples Worker Soviet Collective Tobacco Factory No:3' blended ready rubbed which was badged engineered from blends No:1 and No:2! At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your chance and in fairness to C.I they do get a good selection of Gawith blends from time to time.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
personally I like a bit of inconsistency. Though there is a point where it is no longer the blend of theseus no matter what the tin says.
I think the most obvious solution is to start pricing pipe tobacco the same way cigars are priced. You want that leaf even as a condiment? Well it will cost you the price of giving the farmer a reason to farm it.
The mark up on tobacco is pretty high. Better leaf could be used, or "expensive" leaf like Perique, and they would still make a profit.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Back in the day, the US government underwrote tobacco farmers as there never was sufficient profit. Manufacturers paid as little as possible for leaf. So, tax dollars were necessary to incentivize growers. Voters won't support such incentives in this day and age. The demand is shrinking in the West. Sufficient tobaccos are grown to support the Third World market for cigarettes and we, the pipe smokers, dippers and chewers, are at the mercy of what is left. I'm betting there is very little demand for pipe blends in the grand scheme of things. We pipe smokers are a "fringe market" and so only a few blend manufacturers and leaf growers are required to meet the demand.

God bless the cigarette smokers! They are our only hope. Well, except those lucky and skilled enough to be able to grow their own.

lupy1234

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2023
Back on topic. Made an order Sunday and received it today. Took advantage of a pricing error on their part along with 17% off the entire order. They only messed up my order once in the past few years and that was with Balkan Sobranie.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Factors missing in this equation are high consumer consumption and a competitive marketplace. Without those two factors, there is precious little in the way of diverse, high quality tobacco suitable for pipe use.

Reactions: warren