PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
from my understanding it's less politically correct and more a bad attempt at putting their own spin on it. More they felt like it would be too awkward seeming too forced. And as usual in life when you try to force something you end up doing worse. Like the nicotine patch feels more off and weird then if the guy just smoked a damn pipe. One thing they said is that half the scenes he couldn't even smoke anyways without having to write some bit about him being told he can't.
That said to me the whole show felt just wrong and never got me interested enough to even check it out.
I’m a bit of a purist when it comes to Holmes but still enjoy many of the episodes, especially from certain writers. It’s often pretty clever and laugh out loud funny, IMO. And often outrageous - darn, now I can’t unsee Irene Adler (which isn’t a bad thing).

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The BBC, from Day One, has been the media outlet for the British government.

For practical purposes that's a distinction without a difference. Because until a generation ago what the government wanted was rational, so dealing in objective fact moved the country along in both international terms and domestic prosperity terms.

Not the case case today. It's become flat-out gaslighting and utter BS in the pursuit of logically indefensible nonsense.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m a bit of a purist when it comes to Holmes but still enjoy many of the episodes, especially from certain writers. It’s often pretty clever and laugh out loud funny, IMO. And often outrageous - darn, now I can’t unsee Irene Adler (which isn’t a bad thing).
might be worth giving a chance. It's just never grabbed my attention.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Found a different source! Don't take those pipes to the loo alone!
If that's the pipe smoking contest I recall watching that with my dear pop.
Usually my pop watched the more interesting shows in his attached flat that my parents wouldn't allow my siblings and I to view.
This was not one of them.

Tobacco was carefully weighed.
Matches were rationed [can't recall exactly how many - three maybe?]
The commentator spoke in hushed tones.
Riveting stuff . . . . not.

Which reminds of the time when sitting with pop when I was 14yo.
I asked if I could roll him a cigarette.
He grunted affirmative.

After carefully rolling his smoke and poking in the strands on each end I then asked if I could light the cigarette.
Another grunt that I took to mean yes.

After taking a deep puff I offered it to pop.
He said "You may as well smoke the bloody thing since you pinch 'em when you think I'm not looking."
Bless him. My father, a lay-preacher, would have been furious if pop ever narced on me.

Makembake

Might Stick Around
Oct 24, 2022
Australia
When I think of the BBC and pipes, I think of their series "Sherlock". The pipes in it are conspicuous by their absence. As a Holmes fan I can't help but take exception to their trying to be politically correct making them corrupt an iconic character. Instead of a pipe he has a nicotine patch. What a bumber! puffy

I think I shall write a stern letter to the TIMES.
Yes, it's an absolute disgrace!! Whoever dreamed up Holmes seriously choosing to use patches instead of a pipe?? Holmes is, at heart, something of a social libertarian, a rebel of sorts and the idea that he would not be smoking his beloved pipes in a contemporary era is not only inaccurate, inconsistent with his character and preposterous, it is a literal bending of the knee to certain modern political, ideological dogmas that should have no place in our society. Spare a thought for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - he'd be turning in his grave!!!

Reactions: Searock Fan

SaxonX

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2021
Staffordshire Moorlands GB
BBC is so bad these days I don't even have a licence as I have no intention of watching it .... but when they did do comedy you can't beat Alf Garnet as an ambassador of the briar!

Reactions: edger