PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
In the past few days I have noticed a few threads on Virginias, and most included elements referring to tongue burn. I thought I would share some images, and a brief description of how I match my personal pipes to Virginias, in hopes to provide you with a better smoking experience. As with all things pipe related this is my personal opinion, and it might be absolute rubbish to you, but it is a start to appointing a pipe to a blend.
Let's start with the perfect pipe for Virginias. It is large, sandblasted, slightly bent, and can hold a lot of tobacco. This Randy Wiley Meteor is good for a two hour smoke of my favorite Virgina blend.

rwva1.jpg
Notice the large diameter of the bowl, and the pipes general size. This hunk of briar stays cool, and keeps the smoke nice and flavorful.

rwvabd.jpg
As you can see the bowl is also deep, which to me provides more flavor since the smoke has to travel through the tobacco, which imparts its sweet flavors to the smoke before entering your mouth.
In general I prefer the pot shape for smoking Virginias. For this purpose I believe few makers can out do GBD on this shape here are several examples of Pots that I employ for Virginias.

GBDvirginias.jpg

GBD Pots, and all pre Cadogen pipes in general feature a rim cut into the bowl canted towards the center which makes for easy loading. Notice how wide these bowls are in relation to the overall pipe.

gbdbwva.jpg
This to me allows more surface area to promote less relights, and a more even burn.
While I am a GBD hack, I do often employ some Savinellis as well. The ones pictured below were purchased due to bowl depth, and have served me well.
savva.jpg
Paw Paw asked a viable question below;
"What if you do not like 2 hour smokes"
Well I can understand the need for a quicker smoke, but I do not think that a Virginia is what you would want to enjoy for this purpose. When I am rushed for time I employ the Peterson below;

peteds.jpg
It is a 303 System pipe with a P-lip. The features of the System pipe, and P-lip can allow for a quicker smoke, as can the smaller, but still wide bowl. I do think you miss some of the natural flavor when using this pipe, but it will allow for a quicker, less than an hour smoke.
I hope this information is helpful, although as I said at the beginning it is only my opinion, and might not work out for you. I do think that by starting your smoke with the right pipe for the right blend, you will have less relights, less chance of tongue bite and a better overall experience. I close out with a picture of what I feel is the perfect english blend pipe a GBD 9438.
gbdeng.jpg

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
what if ya dont like 2 hour smokes?

me i have 2 pipes dedicted to VAs one is my #15 Pete Kildare and the other is my Uncle Arthur Applepot both are smooth finish and the pete is straight and the applepot is a 1/2 bend both will smoke for an hour. both have a bowl large enuff to tamp with my index finger

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I think this is a different perspective than most I think most of what I read is small pipes for VA. I just smoke what I have I love Virginia and have no problem with them.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
flyfishin..
Around here the flies that work most often are Baetis 18-24 and Sulphurs in the same size so I dedicated trays to those and the ubiquitous Addams... I will post a pic of my fly boxes open when I get a chance, a hobby that goes with pipe smoking like peanut butter goes with jelly!

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I think this is a different perspective than most I think most of what I read is small pipes for VA. I just smoke what I have I love Virginia and have no problem with them.
Jship-
Years ago when I started smoking pipes, the internet was in its early beginnings and a lot of people employed IRC to chat. There was at that time a channel #pipes which included a decent group of people, and a few die hard collectors. This setting is where I cut my teeth, and the consensus between these men was large pipes for Virginias, and smaller pipes for English. At the time Castellos were en vogue and the discussion constantly revolved around the best shape to smoke PCCA, and Mclelland Virginia blends. As I said before it might not be the best for all, but it has worked out fairly well for me. I do miss those guys, and that forum bur enjoy our more modern interface, and fellowship with a larger pipe smoking group.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I guess I'm in the minority, but I tend to smoke my VA's in a cob (MM Legend) most of the time. If I want a bigger pipe, I usually go to my big Ben Wade freehand for VA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.