PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I have this problem more with acrylic stemmed pipes than anything because they are so hard and slick. I am a button biter, and I probably have a nice spot worn in both molars right behind my eye teeth. It's one of the reasons I can't do P-Lip pipes because they are rounded and slide all over the place. Also the shape of them just kinda unsettles me.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I also recommend softie bits. I put them on most of my pipes, and they do make clenching easier. Some people find them aesthetically displeasing, but they don't bother me in the slightest in that regard. You may also want to invest in pipes that are light and distribute the weight in a way that is comfortable for long periods of clenching. A Stanwell featherweight, for example.

Smokebacca

Lurker
Aug 7, 2022
Texas
Rubber caps on your teeth will work well, but they only come in black.
That is true, at least the good ones only come in black. I have seen clear ones before. Luckily, they only cover the bit which is hidden in your mouth while smoking.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I clench that way. Rest the bottom of stem on bottom lip, and the button is parked on top teeth. When I'm sitting down, it works very well, but walking around can get dicey. So when I'm lunting, sometimes I use both upper and bottom teeth. Just sorta balanced between teeth that I'm not biting on the stem.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I wish I could offer some good advice on this, but all I can think of are some goofy, smart-ass suggestions. Therefore I'm not going to post in this thread. puffy