PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The original (now closed) JB Hayes shop in Virginia had this unsmoked P-Grade James Upshall, with a Les Woods custom silver band in their pipe cabinet. Over a few years of shop visits, I looked at it every time, but their price was $350 and I balked. I guess that I picked it up often enough, that when the closing of the shop was imminent, John offered it to me for $225. Its gigantic, so it doesn't get smoked very often, and of course the stem oxidizes by just looking at it, but it still puts a smile on my face when it gets smoked. I'll have to take a better picture of it.

1638027770146.jpeg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
This Tokutomi blows me away every time I see it - I really can’t think of another pipe that has stopped me in my tracks.
So Bo Nordh gives you some briar that he’s been saving and you decide to make a pipe….

View attachment 111108
Now that is what I call a pipe. I am so tired of crazy ass pipes that look nothing like a pipe. The Pot above i as perfect a pot as I have ever seen. Just a feaking awesome classic.

Reactions: OzPiper and jpberg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I enjoy both functional and dysfunctional pipes. Having a collection of Paul Tatum pipes is doubly a joy, since, as an engineer he knew how to make the internals, and as an artist he could provide strangely whimsical designs in a style that is distinctly his.
A lot of the designs in the last big auction and the next one coming up are fantastic displays of carving skill that just seem like a thorough pain in the ass to use. They're like trophies, meant to be admired on the shelf. Some of those chamber and rim angles would require a contortionist to actually use them. No wonder so many of them are unsmoked.
Maybe it's partly a point in life sort of thing, but I don't want more clutter, and these are mostly clutter. I'm going to be dumping most of my collections after I retire. There's really no point to them.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and jpberg

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Maybe it's partly a point in life sort of thing, but I don't want more clutter, and these are mostly clutter. I'm going to be dumping most of my collections after I retire. There's really no point to them.

I'm there too, though my collection is no where near as spectacular as your older British pipes (and as I've said before, yours belong in museums). I've gotten to the point of seeing the folly in collections. For years, I loved and built a collection of Dunhill group 6 and ODA billiards and apples. I got one in most of the finishes in them, some times two. I enjoyed them for a while but in the end they were just more expensive stuff on the wall. Having had to clear out a number of peoples houses after they pass, you get an appreciation for the sheer amount of crap people spend their lives obtaining only to see it tossed in a dumpster when their gone. That being said, I still love looking at wonderful pipes. Briar is an amazing wood and what some can do with it is pure art.