PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Title edited for caps and brevity. See Rule 9.

I was smoking a lot of ribon cut and it burnt fast. As ar result I have a number of not huge, but reasonbly big pipe chambers. Recently Ive changed over to mostly flakes and I find Ive learned to sip a better than the old days of puffing.

Sometimes I use meer chips too if the pipe isnt filtered. They take up space.

Obvioulsy, its a great excuse to buy more pipes but I like the ones I have.

Is there any issue with filing the pipe only about 2/3?

The bonus is that there is less filth on rims but is there any problem with this practice?

Sometimes I fill them most the way and grab them a couple of times a day but I really prefer a fresh bowl on most blends.

Last edited by a moderator:

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
I would adjust the packing a bit from usual on a full chamber. As you pack a full chamber the bottom tends to be packed down more so you fill lighter at the start of a long pack. After burning down you have an ash cake on top of the tobacco to help with the ember and the draw that you won't have on a short pack. On a short pack you'll need to compress on it a bit more and get a decent ash cake more quickly. Might require additional lights at first. I short pack at times and it's a different technique than a long pack. Hard to describe.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Nothing wrong with anything that works for you. Once upon a time I thought larger chambers were the answer for the self-created problem of puffing away as well. Now I like them for longer, more relaxed bowls and don't always fill them all the way, but since I have plenty of smaller pipes I generally go that direction for something shorter. And I'll pick up a larger pipe for flakes. Thought I'd have a short, celebratory bowl after the Hawks' win last night and picked up a new "Junior" pipe and 40 minutes later . . . . That's plenty long for me for one bowl most of the time.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Is there any issue with filing the pipe only about 2/3?
Yes there is one single issue with it. If you don't clean up or prevent cake from building unevenly the pipe will be more likely to form cracks sometimes fatal cracks (as in needs repairs before it can be smoked or worse) but if you're even half assed about your cake care it shouldn't be an issue. (@didimauw if you'd be so kind and share that pic of how caked up your pipes get, then I can say imagine that in only the bottom two thirds of a pipe).

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Thanks anotherbob. I keep my pipes rather clean. A very thin cake or carbon layer. I don’t smoke a ton and Ive a bunch of pipes so it will take a long time before they need reaming.

Another solution I use is to put boring tobacco I dont care for at the bottom of the bowl. That saves good tobacco and raises the level at the same time. I do make sure its really bland so not to mess with the intended smoke.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes there is one single issue with it. If you don't clean up or prevent cake from building unevenly the pipe will be more likely to form cracks sometimes fatal cracks (as in needs repairs before it can be smoked or worse) but if you're even half assed about your cake care it shouldn't be an issue. (@didimauw if you'd be so kind and share that pic of how caked up your pipes get, then I can say imagine that in only the bottom two thirds of a pipe).
1000002694.jpg

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Yano, I saw you posted that elsewhere. Does it flavor the smoke when it gets hot? Certainly cheaper than meer chips!

I can hear my wife now..."Where is the bag of rice?"

Reactions: yanoJL