PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I have a few... Heeschen and Kai Neilson (sp?) And I don't know if they are lined but they smoke as well or better than many others. No special treatment from me. Bamboo is super tough wood.

Reactions: PipeIT

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I am a bamboo fan. I have samples form Stanwell, Vesz (2), Caminetto, Morrisette and Dunhill. I like the look, I like the weight. I don’t know what’s inside the cane but no problems yet with any of them. Cane is a super tough material. I fish with cane fly rods and they have taken a lickin and kept on tickin.

bowrocker

Lurker
Apr 7, 2022
Still River, MA
www.youtube.com
Bamboo fan here too, like @trouttimes love the look and the weight. Below is my collection so far, from Stanwell, Dunhill, Berggreen, Eltang and Chonowitsch. Some appear to have an inner sleeve inside the shank. The Eltang and Berggreen have carbon fiber tenons, the Dunhill tenon is vulcanite, part of the stem, and the rest are steel tenon. Never had any issue, just clean them like all my other pipes.

1670345970729.png

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m assuming because this pipe is so tiny, is the reason it doesn’t have a steel liner inside the bamboo, because then, the tenon would end up being to small, and fragile.

Mine also has a carbon fiber tenon, about an inch long. It’s quite a tight fit so I rub a little bees wax on it. It’s actually organic bees wax too LOL 😆 Hey, you never know, chemicals in a wax, might have a bad reaction to the tenon and bamboo. hmm. 🤔

4AC08429-D7DA-41C1-B5A9-E01C60BBF2FC.jpeg

Reactions: bowrocker

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That’s a wild looker! :)

Is that yours?

No.

It was one of the winners of the Kansas City club's pipe carving contest 6-7 years ago, when the requirement was to incorporate bamboo somehow in a structural way (not simply as an adornment, in other words).

Most of the entries had bamboo shanks, of course, but not Nate King's. :col:

Turns out a bamboo plant has a root ball that's below ground and isn't mushy. It's as hard as what's above ground.

Then he thought "What the Hell" and doubled down on outrageously unique by making the rest of the pipe out of titanium.

(Yes, Nate is crazy, but it's the best kind of crazy) :)

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 4.04.54 PM.png

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
The strength-to-weight ratio is insane.

View attachment 185551

View attachment 185552
Bamboo scaffoldings were the standard in Malaysia and Singapore when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. It was still being used in Hong Kong when I visited in the mid 2000s. For all I know, it's still being used there and in other parts of East Asia today. I did see a worker fall off of one on my Hong Kong visit.

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
While the proper amount of mating surface roughening is always a good thing when gluing stuff, a lack of it didn't contribute much to this particular failure.

Because what went sideways is the glue itself was past its shelf life. Both cyanoacrylate and epoxy have a surprisingly short shelf life when still new and sealed, and which is reduced to a matter of weeks after opening.
While true for some epoxies, there are a few that I have used over many years that have a long shelf life both before and after opening. It depends on the properties of the epoxy, and how it is designed.
I agree about the short shelf life of the cyanoacrylates, at least the ones I've been exposed to.

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
I’m assuming because this pipe is so tiny, is the reason it doesn’t have a steel liner inside the bamboo, because then, the tenon would end up being to small, and fragile.

Mine also has a carbon fiber tenon, about an inch long. It’s quite a tight fit so I rub a little bees wax on it. It’s actually organic bees wax too LOL 😆 Hey, you never know, chemicals in a wax, might have a bad reaction to the tenon and bamboo. hmm. 🤔

View attachment 185659

Do you get non-organic beeswax if the bees use plastic flowers? ;)

Chris from Cigarworld

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2022
Lübeck, Germany
www.cigarworld.de

View attachment 185659

Congrats to your nice Mike Bay Bamboo.
You really should have some patience with this pipe. As far as i know, you've only smoked it once. It needs maybe 10 more smokes before you can vaguely see if it really has a problem with condensation. That counts for every pipe in my opinoin.
As many before wrote: Bamboo Pipes don't need any special treatment or smoking, just smoke them as any other briar.
Steel Tube/ Aluminum Tenon: This topic is highly controversial. Some pipemakers favour it, some think it's bad for the smokeability. I also see that inner metal tubes increase the condensation because of the cooler surface of the material. This is the reason why most people remove stingers and condesation filters from old pipes. Metal tenons are also controversial because experience shows that the have more wear to the shank bore, and it's not so easy to repair a bamboo pipe with a loose stem (and metal tenon).
Carbon is a really good material, but rarely used. You can clearly see that Mike learnt from Tom Eltang.
Greetings from Germany!

Reactions: PipeIT and Toast