PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
A quick 1-hr practice carve today on a lil block of pistachio wood, nice freehand drill'in, got some damn cracks in her, but she still smoke'in up the flake like an animal :puffy:
Whatcha think of her? :wink:
photo11-448x600.jpg

photo21-448x600.jpg

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Pistachio looks very similar to olive tree.Did you get the right spade to drill the chamber or did you make yourself?I make mines that works well but needs to be sharpened every drill as they Works like a double knife .Making them myself is good also to obtain drill of every diameter 19-20-22-24-25 are the ones i usually use

Jul 12, 2011
I use spoon bits from pimo, which work pretty good, a lil pricey but I'm

Lazy on grind'in my own ;-) this smaller/flake pipe uses a 3/4"'diam chamber,

which IMO burns flake bacci (fold/stuff method) the best....burn'in a lil

Stonehaven in her right now, man is she smoke'in pretty...

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
looks great! I really like the grain on it and how it is unusual style sitter

Jul 12, 2011
True on make'in bits, have to get a grinder ;-)
@Nikko-thanks brother, she has a nice style of sit'in balance, you can

Just place her down on table and she rocks until she finds her balance (luck on that one, but I love it!) ;-)
Also on the first half-dozen smokes pistachio has a nice roasted nut flavor and aroma, Mmm-Mmm-Mmm

So with a nice Virginia/Burley like Stonehaven, a chocolate/roasted nut flavor is fantastic!

mrlblackbird

Might Stick Around
Oct 17, 2011
What a brilliant looking pipe, it's got a sort of fancy warhammer thing going on. Interesting from every angle.

Also, if somebody sets about you in the streets you can just clobber them with it :wink:

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Wow, the grain / finish is stunning! What did you use to finish it, and does the wood give off any taste?

Jul 12, 2011
~Thanks for all the feedback brothers :puffy:
@cthulhu - for the finish, I just used some carnuba wax, the rest of the spot~light is all Pistachio wood, really a pretty wood to see/work with :wink:
The wood does give off a nice roasted nut taste (also aroma of roasted nut while cutting, sanding and smoking the pipe) for the first 6-12 break-in smokes, after that just the bure bliss of bacci :D

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
As i told before Pistachio looks like mediterranean olive tree.The problem with olive is that burns bits quickly due to his hardness

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Ever since I saw an olive wood pipe with briar insert, I wanted an exotic wood pipe. Pistachio might be the way to go! Where do you get your materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.