PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
My father always wore one in summer (guess too many years in the infantry, in a jungle, with a helmet). He's passed and I inherited it. I wear it to mow the lawn on hot days, I'll have to snap a picture. One of the many weird (to others) hats I wear....
I originally got my pith helmet with the intention of wearing it to mow but then we hired someone to mow our lawn so now I sometimes watch them mow from our deck while wearing it:)

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Holy crap! I was aware of the inexplicable connection between pipe smoking and wearing a kilt, but this is the first time I have been made aware of the apparent connection between pipe smoking and wearing a pith helmet. Do you guys also hunt dangerous African big game with large caliber double barrel rifles?

I guess pipe smoking, wearing a kilt, and wearing a pith helmet are just quirky things a man might do, but I still don't see how those things fit together, unless you're a Scotsman from the late 1800's on a safari somewhere within the more remote parts of the British Empire.

Holy crap! I was aware of the inexplicable connection between pipe smoking and wearing a kilt, but this is the first time I have been made aware of the apparent connection between pipe smoking and wearing a pith helmet. Do you guys also hunt dangerous African big game with large caliber double barrel rifles?

I guess pipe smoking, wearing a kilt, and wearing a pith helmet are just quirky things a man might do, but I still don't see how those things fit together, unless you're a Scotsman from the late 1800's on a safari somewhere within the more remote parts of the British Empire.
Pith helmets have a varied history, not just the English big game hunter. The CCC issued them back in the 30’s and 40’s to all workers to protect their heads while working construction. And, from their they worked their way into agriculture, and can still be found for sale at seed, tractor, and cooperative stores in rural areas.
You will still see many of them being worn by farmers throughout the South.

The Colonial African piths are a little different, more decorative and made of a much harder material.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Pith helmets have a varied history, not just the English big game hunter. The CCC issued them back in the 30’s and 40’s to all workers to protect their heads while working construction. And, from their they worked their way into agriculture, and can still be found for sale at seed, tractor, and cooperative stores in rural areas.
You will still see many of them being worn by farmers throughout the South.

The Colonial African piths are a little different, more decorative and made of a much harder material.

Interesting. Must be a Southern thing. I live in a pretty rural area and know a lot of farmers, and I've never seen a pith helmet around here, not on a farmer's head or at a feed store or anywhere else.

I didn't mean to poke too much fun at the antiquated Englishness of the pith helmet. I wear tweed jackets pretty regularly in the colder months, which aren't quite as quirky as a pith helmet or a kilt, but are still a bit of a low-key Anglophile nod to the Empire.

Interesting. Must be a Southern thing. I live in a pretty rural area and know a lot of farmers, and I've never seen a pith helmet around here, not on a farmer's head or at a feed store or anywhere else.

I didn't mean to poke too much fun at the antiquated Englishness of the pith helmet. I wear tweed jackets pretty regularly in the colder months, which aren't quite as quirky as a pith helmet or a kilt, but are still a bit of a low-key Anglophile nod to the Empire.
I just wanted to add some more pictures to the thread.
Piths aren't worn very extensively but occasionally I see one out in the field on a farmer. If you weren’t looking for it, most probably wouldn’t pay any attention to the old guy on the tractor, much less what he is wearing. But, the CCC was mostly composed of Southerners and ag workers hard hit by the Depression.
C558216D-B556-400C-9613-616042595842.jpeg
74EABDC4-16F3-442E-965F-E355D5959A1C.jpeg
2F4789E6-8C7C-4E2A-A3A9-E76C53780725.jpeg

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA

We'd get along well. I got a used Harris Tweed from Orvis that I wear when its very cold.

We have one hundred years old Leuter's Hardward here in Huntsville with pith hats, but hells bells, there is not much they don't have....LOL!!

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I just wanted to add some more pictures to the thread.
Piths aren't worn very extensively but occasionally I see one out in the field on a farmer. If you weren’t looking for it, most probably wouldn’t pay any attention to the old guy on the tractor, much less what he is wearing. But, the CCC was mostly composed of Southerners and ag workers hard hit by the Depression.
View attachment 94507
View attachment 94508
View attachment 94510
I like that old Farmall. As they say, "if it ain't red, it stays in the shed". Mine is a '64 Massey 35 Diesel with PS.

I like that old Farmall. As they say, "if it ain't red, it stays in the shed". Mine is a '64 Massey 35 Diesel with PS.
I will actually be looking to trade this winter. Mine is a Ford 600, but I have way outgrown it. As much as I love the vintage models, I am just going to HAVE to get a new one. Productivity takes precedence over coolness when money starts coming into the picture. But, I LOVE old tractors.