PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have always used the pocket knives my dad passed to me and have never felt compelled to collect them. Just another rabbit hole to fall down losing money as I pickup speed. That said, my kids have wanted to get me a Christmas for years and Case XX has a simple green canoe with some blade engraving. Nothing fancy. Low dollars in the 60'ish range. Any Case knife users out there that can tell me about their quality? My dad's/my knives are old 50s-70s Schrades/Bucks/Bokers. Any advice? Also, my preferred knife shape is a canoe....

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Case is an American company that has been around 3 years before forever started. A long time. Quality is right up there with Buck USA knives. I have both a buck and case stockman. I like the case a bit more due to the rounded corners and larger blades although the entire knife is 1/4” shorter than the buck. Can’t go wrong with a case.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I carry a small buck 501 or 503 and leave the big 110 at home to cut plugs. I never got into expensive knives because half the time a pocket knife doesn't need to hold a super sharp edge to be useful and I've never had a problem sharpening buck knives in my years of carrying them. You can't go wrong with a case though, from what I've seen at least.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
For the last 20-25 years these are my main carry knives. Small but handy, the classic little Swiss Army knife has some useful tools on it, and I've used all of them at one time or another, plus it's small and fits easily on a keychain. The other is a Gerber frame lock that is also small but has a very useful blade that locks in place. I prefer slim locking blades for pocket carry and most things, but they do lack the classic look and feel of a nice pocket knife with bone scales. I have some old Case knives, Buck, Schrade and even a new in the box Hen and Rooster canoe. To me the knife has to suit the situation and not just look pretty. Find one you like and enjoy using it. puffy

fullsizeoutput_2a53.jpeg

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Ok, so the kids, via my wife, are getting me a Case Christmas Canoe. And, I am not sure how it happened but I ordered a GEC Farm and Field Pocket Carver in natural linen micarta. I carve a lot using smaller pocket knives but this one looks like it was made for me.

View attachment 52324

Nice pick-up Aquadoc. I have a dozen or so GECs and the fit/finish on them is great. The mircata scales are a great choice for a working/carving knife. Steel is 1095, so a simple strop will keep the edge very sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.