Polishing Rusticated / Blast Finishes: Have We Reached a Consensus?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Estate Pipes
24 Fresh Neerup Pipes
12 Fresh Rossi Pipes
4 Fresh Henri Sorensen Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer

The website seems to indicate it is still available.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
It's frustrating how things just disappear without warning. I liked and used both Halcyon and Paragon for years and years, and they went away without any warning whatsoever. It would have been great if any effort had been made to keep them available. That ain't what happened.

Renaissance was around before, and it's still around, so go with that. The people who formulated it are pros, and it should work fine.

This is just another reminder not to take availability of anything for granted.
I promise to warn you before I disappear.

• Love
Reactions: sablebrush52
Dec 10, 2013
Though the virtues of Renaissance Wax are many & varied, I'm not convinced it would be ideal for making a pipe shine, it's just not designed to make things shiny, it's more of a preservative that keeps moisture at bay.

Also, if applied to a pre-warmed pipe it will naturally be absorbed to a certain degree into the briar which I think might have an adverse effect.

Jay.
That is why I like it so much.

• Haha
Reactions: mawnansmiff
Dec 10, 2013
I cant get any of the pipe products for polishing in the EU. I can get Renissance Wax.

I have a wheel and wax in my office because I use it for polish work on sax mouthpieces. So Im covered on smooth pipes.

Does Renissance Wax gloss up rusticated and blasted pipes? I like a bit of luster on them. Things like cutting board oil helps but Id like them to look a little less dull. Is Renassance a solution?

When you apply it in ( of course ) thin layers it sure does gloss up.
But just not to that nasty parquet high gloss one, yuk.

Reactions: Sigmund

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sounds good. Im not after a mirror finish. Just something not dull. Thanks
What with all the discussion re waxes, I got out my Halcyon, and the polishing cloth Sam gave me when I bought some and some pipes at his house in Novato.

But... I first used the polishing cloth, and was stunned at how well they shined up- without further wax! The micro cloth undoubtedly had a fair amount of wax in it from use over the years, but the results were... ah, uh, stunning.