PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
I just picked up my first Chris Askwith pipe and I am so happy with it! I noticed the stem has a rubbery feel to it more so than any other non acrylic stems I have. I read on the forum that Chris uses only polyester for his stems. I haven't had a chance to give it a good cleaning yet but even just wiping it down with toothpaste has brought it back pretty well.

Just wondering if others have had experience with polyester stems and how they are best cleaned and maintained? Thank you.

IMG_20220529_041654631_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220529_041817591_HDR.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You can use whatever cleaning you use for other pipes. Alcohol can be used on them as well without fear of micro-fractures that can happen with acrylic.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have this Chris Askwith, with an ivory colored polyester stem. I love the feel. I bought it in 2015. So far, it has required zero maintenance, save running a pipe cleaner thru it after smoking the pipe. It doesn't oxidize, etc. The material has a matte type finish, so it won't shine like polished vulcanite or acrylic. The mouth feel is excellent, kind of cross between a good Ashtonite stem and a Charatan.

Chris_Askwith_Prince_Gallery.JPG

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
So I noticed he had an email on his website so I reached out to Chris to ask him about the stem. He said that although he uses mostly polyester he will use ebonite at the customer's request. After seeing the pipe he said that it was ebonite after all. It has a very soft, almost "chewy" feel to the mouthpiece which I've never experienced with ebonite before. He said that regardless of the stem material they can all be cleaned and polished in the same way.

So amazing to be able to reach out to the man who created this pipe and ask questions. He was very kind and got back to me quickly. This is my first handmade artisan pipe and I can see why people are so drawn to these. Thank you all for your help.