PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Eastmon

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2022
Vancouver, BC
Just had my turn at Covid last week. Wasn’t exactly a walk in the park, but nowhere near as bad as I’ve been sick before.

Anyway, I’ve found that the taste I’m getting off my favs are quite different and I’m really hoping that’s a short term effect. What your guys experience with this particular part of having gone through the Rona?

Reactions: dctune

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
yeah it comes back and it takes a while and that variable level of sickness is part of what's so nasty. Oh I got it back when the debate was is going to get to America. Ebola for example has a similar person to person transmission rate but there aren't mild cases a good case of that knocks you on your ass. People being well enough to get around is a great way to transmit viruses (in fact that is why most virus you've had you don't know you had them cause the most successful ones are asymptomatic.).
But yeah the taste comes back. How quickly? Hard to say. There will be points it's obviously better and points where it might be better or you might just be noticing things better. And it's not the same for everyone. Took about a month before I could pick tell what blend I was smoking. And kind of got better bit by bit after that. Though silver lining it really helps you appreciate the blends you can enjoy when you can do it again.
Oh and it took three months about before I didn't feel like I had taken up chain smoking cigs again. That was one of the things that was different then a flu. Flus are like just done. Little things kind of hung on for a while.

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I had it last year and I lost taste and smell for some time. My taste started coming back and smell pretty quickly within a couple of weeks but it took a month or more for it to kind of get back to normal. I think the pipe helped. ? Glad you're feeling better prayers that everything gets back to normal quick.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Dealt with it for several weeks last spring and not in a fun way - never lost all my sense of taste or smell but both were impaired pretty significantly. Coming up on 11 months later, neither is back all the way and seemed to level off at the present level a few months ago, but now and then I smell something or taste something that makes me think a little bit more has come back. It affects people in so many different ways that comparisons are really pretty useless, IMO, and all I can relate is my experience. Hope your issues are temporary!

Eastmon

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2022
Vancouver, BC
To be a little more precise, my pallet would hone right in on the sweetness on my fav Virginia blends, each had their own taste obviously. Now they have an element of that, but it’s bland and they all kinda taste the same. I pick up on Latakia, but nothing much more complex than that.
I find this a fascinating part of the experience, even if it is a real bummer.

Reactions: lightmybriar

kgs

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2021
South Florida
Reactions: Eastmon

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
Had Covid July last year. Still no taste or smell. Have tried many, some questionable, fixes to no avail. Been smoking cheap cigars only, just because I enjoy smoking. I guess whenever it finally comes back, I’ll be reading the newbie forums to relearn the pipe! Can’t bring myself to waste my stash!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Week ago ,a Buddy of mine got infected with this wuhan virus, had his body temperature rising for a day or two and by the end of the week he was back in business ready to take his work shift but employer denied that attempt declaring he must stay at home 'confined to barracks' with zero benefit or any income,

• Angry
Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Week ago ,a Buddy of mine got infected with this wuhan virus, had his body temperature rising for a day or two and by the end of the week he was back in business ready to take his work shift but employer denied that attempt declaring he must stay at home 'confined to barracks' with zero benefit or any income,
That doesn’t sound very Finnish?!

I had it last week, it was almost getting annoying not getting it after so long, but once the kids got it at school it was bound to happen. No taste or smell issues thankfully. Triple vaccinated too.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
That doesn’t sound very Finnish?!

I had it last week, it was almost getting annoying not getting it after so long, but once the kids got it at school it was bound to happen. No taste or smell issues thankfully. Triple vaccinated too.
Yes Sir , he had almost the very same scenery as Yours,he haven't got no shots but apparently his two kids did but one of them got ill while attending his lessons at elementary school , says all the family went ill wife & kids,and those were vaccinated twice ,

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
One initial and two boosters for me. Omicron will most likely infect everyone, so, if you've considered the vaccine, now is the time. And monoclonal antibodies are not effective against Omicron at present.

My family had it and so did I. My symptoms were drainage, sore throat, and nasal related. Just like a cold, which is what a corona virus is. No fever for the four days the cold was symptomatic.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
One initial and two boosters for me. Omicron will most likely infect everyone, so, if you've considered the vaccine, now is the time. And monoclonal antibodies are not effective against Omicron at present.

My family had it and so did I. My symptoms were drainage, sore throat, and nasal related. Just like a cold, which is what a corona virus is. No fever for the four days the cold was symptomatic.
my work mandated vaccines. Though exemptions are easy to get. Well I've been covering for everyone that's got those exemptions over the last week. One of them is still on a ventilator. Whatever your opinion is, that's what's going on in Covid news in my little area of the world.

Reactions: cornedbeef

Mopiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2021
I feel for you. I had it in September last year and my smell and taste are just now nearing the back to normal phase.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
My taste and smell was off for about a week, jumped right back and somehow improved on all fronts. Food, drinks and tobacco all changed for the better. Maybe abstaining for a week helped.

Reactions: JOHN72

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
When I first got Covid when it started I lost the senses for 3 days. The day they came back my taste buds were 2x as good, all flavors were multiplied. That lasted for a day before it all went normal. This past week I THOUGHT I was battling a cold, and today....... bye bye senses. So apparently I have Covid but I feel 85% good. sucks eating food with no taste but I won't complain since there is a lot of people that are not so lucky. Stay safe out there.

Reactions: JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I'm still with the damn virus I think almost a week. My smell and taste remain at acceptable levels, I really don't know if I have lost any percentage. My symptoms,mild sore throat, headache, tiredness, fever, and feeling cold. In short, like a mild flu. I always had very bad flus. And for years I've been getting the flu shot, and since then I haven't had the flu anymore. Until the damn covid came along. Always very concerned about my wife, who is diabetic, and who, for the moment, is doing well. I wish a speedy recovery for you and your family members who are suffering from this virus. And I hope that governments learn from this pandemic and invest in more resources and avoid past mistakes that cause so much pain to the population.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I finally got it 3 weeks or so ago. Didn’t realize I had even lost my taste until it started to return. Funnily enough it wasn’t pipes that made me notice it, but rather chewing tobacco. My wintergreen dip tasted like dirt all of a sudden, and my dumb ass spent the better part of a week frantically trying every wintergreen dip out there thinking that I had finally just gotten desensitized to it all. NOPE. ‘Rona all the way. All that said, my taste has not returned even close to 100% and subsequently my enthusiasm for tobacco has been dampened significantly. Not really complaining because it could be infinitely worse and I’m grateful that I got off easy. But it does still suck. Hoping my taste returns fully sometime soon. If not… it is what it is, I guess. ?‍♂️