Premier League, Championship League, League One, etc.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Chelsea? Oh dear, trust that lot to piss on my parade. Lol
Doubt if they’ve sold as many as the arsenal pipes though. In fact, I’ll warrant they haven’t sold a single one! Never see a Chelsea supporter smoking a pipe…or Millwall for that matter. Can’t clench a pipe if you’re chopsing off & scrapping all the time.
Very true!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and simong
Jun 9, 2018
England
It is crazy how much they have spent without much return on investment.
When Fergie was there they used to spend plenty of money but they always had world class players because of that spending. Cantona, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Christiano Ronaldo, Peter Schmeichel, Wayne Rooney, Robin Van Persie. Not forgetting the academy players like Giggs, Beckham and Scholes. Which players would you say they've had since Fergie retired have been truly world class? Must be some.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Madrid won the first five finals. English teams won six in a row, but not the same team. Spanish teams have done very well in the Champions League!
English teams were banned from all European competitions between 1985 and 1990 because of the Heysel Stadium disaster. After readmittance it took 9 years before an English team won the Champions League, again. Man Utd finally did the business in 1999 in that epic final against Bayern Munich.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
English teams were banned from all European competitions between 1985 and 1990 because of the Heysel Stadium disaster. After readmittance it took 9 years before an English team won the Champions League, again. Man Utd finally did the business in 1999 in that epic final against Bayern Munich.
That was a terrible incident. One thing I never understood about it though, it why all English clubs were banned. That ban should have been handed to Liverpool alone. Hooliganism was a terrible blight in the 80s, and something certainly had to be done, but that was collective punishment. And that '99 final was epic, but Utd were a tad lucky. I remeber that poor Bayern defender, kneeling on the ground beating it with his fist like a frustrated child, poor guy lol

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
When Fergie was there they used to spend plenty of money but they always had world class players because of that spending. Cantona, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Christiano Ronaldo, Peter Schmeichel, Wayne Rooney, Robin Van Persie. Not forgetting the academy players like Giggs, Beckham and Scholes. Which players would you say they've had since Fergie retired have been truly world class? Must be some.
They haven’t had any world class players since Fergie left except de Gea - just a bunch of guys who were past their prime or didn’t live up to expectations e.g. Falcao, Ibrahimovic, Pogba. Maybe if Zlatan had not gotten injured he would have had 1 or two more pretty good years. No real 20 goal scorers, magic midfielders or decent center backs. More than anything they have lacked an identity as a team or even a clear style of play.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
They haven’t had any world class players since Fergie left except de Gea - just a bunch of guys who were past their prime or didn’t live up to expectations e.g. Falcao, Ibrahimovic, Pogba. Maybe if Zlatan had not gotten injured he would have had 1 or two more pretty good years. No real 20 goal scorers, magic midfielders or decent center backs. More than anything they have lacked an identity as a team or even a clear style of play.
No decent centre backs? What about Maguire? The first name on any team sheet (if the opposing manager was picking the team of course lol).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That was a terrible incident. One thing I never understood about it though, it why all English clubs were banned. That ban should have been handed to Liverpool alone. Hooliganism was a terrible blight in the 80s, and something certainly had to be done, but that was collective punishment. And that '99 final was epic, but Utd were a tad lucky. I remeber that poor Bayern defender, kneeling on the ground beating it with his fist like a frustrated child, poor guy lol
Agree, the ban seems unfair to English clubs, but there was also a lot of hooliganism inter club. 39 dead- mostly Juventus fans, and 600 injured.

Also reminded of the tragedy at Liverpool, with 97 fans losing their lives.

It's been virtually antiseptic since I became rabidly interested in the Prem, Champions League and top leagues in Europe about ten years ago.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Matt Le Tissier was an absolute legend for Southampton. In terms of team impact, he might’ve been the most valuable player in the Prem while he was playing. Check out his highlights on YouTube if you don’t believe me. He could’ve left many times but chose not to.

I thought Ward-Prowse would be a Southampton lifer as well and was sad to see him go.

There’s something awe-inspiring and endearing about a team often fighting relegation that is consistently saved by a world-class player that has loyally decided to stay at their boyhood club. It doesn’t happen much nowadays.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Some of the Man Utd players asked for a day off after the defeat to Fulham. I'd have loved to have seen how Fergie would've reacted to something like that 😆.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Matt Le Tissier was an absolute legend for Southampton. In terms of team impact, he might’ve been the most valuable player in the Prem while he was playing. Check out his highlights on YouTube if you don’t believe me. He could’ve left many times but chose not to.

I thought Ward-Prowse would be a Southampton lifer as well and was sad to see him go.

There’s something awe-inspiring and endearing about a team often fighting relegation that is consistently saved by a world-class player that has loyally decided to stay at their boyhood club. It doesn’t happen much nowadays.
I remember reading, many years ago, that Alex Ferguson wanted to buy him for United. Awesome player who could win a game by himself. He reminded me of Gazza in that respect. Should've won way more England caps than he did.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I remember reading, many years ago, that Alex Ferguson wanted to buy him for United. Awesome player who could win a game by himself. He reminded me of Gazza in that respect. Should've won way more England caps than he did.
He should have won way more caps than he did. How many did he get, was it seven? A travesty. He would have walked into any international team at that time, even Brazil. Not England though, didn't 'track back' enough.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK

I think there were a few clubs after him at the time, not just Man U.
He didn’t want to leave the south coast though. Along with Dennis Bergamp & Paul Gascogne, Matt le Tissier was one of the most naturally gifted footballers that I’ve seen. Beautiful to watch……when he was in the mood.

Not many can curve one in from a corner.
IMG_7068.gif
Take a volley like he could….
IMG_7067.gif
Or just take the piss out of the opposition! Lol
IMG_7066.gif