PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
I'm all grown up; that is, there are certain things that I will no longer do, nor take seriously that I should do, like posting illustrative pictures. In a little less than a month I will be 69.

An important part of the peace of old age is picking things about which to no longer care.
Thus I claim patriarchal exception to picture posting, though, feeling your loss, will give you more words:

1) Start peeling the outer layers Ready a jar and cut a 6-12" segment of the rope
2) Unravel the outer layers, usually whole leaf of some type different than the inner.
3) As you penetrate into the inner portion you will find sub-ropes, if you will, all of them twisted themselves and all of them twisted together to form the rope proper.
4) So the task is to untwist any part of the rope that has been cylindrically twisted, teasing the tobacco into a flat sheet as far as you can.
5) Air dry overnight
6) Tear all the flattened pieces into smaller pieces, and grab bunches to be rubbed out.

Something I do care about: Ordering 500g of Black Rope.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Sounds like work. I usually cut a few slices with a sharp knife or cigar cutter and grind them to preference with an herb grinder. After drying for a few minutes (30 or so) I’m ready to smoke. Generally I get several pipes-worth prepped in this manner and leave the rest in rope form until the next time around.

No wrong way to do though, and if it works for you it’s perfect, 👍

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I'm all grown up; that is, there are certain things that I will no longer do, nor take seriously that I should do, like posting illustrative pictures. In a little less than a month I will be 69.

An important part of the peace of old age is picking things about which to no longer care.
Thus I claim patriarchal exception to picture posting, though, feeling your loss, will give you more words:

1) Start peeling the outer layers Ready a jar and cut a 6-12" segment of the rope
2) Unravel the outer layers, usually whole leaf of some type different than the inner.
3) As you penetrate into the inner portion you will find sub-ropes, if you will, all of them twisted themselves and all of them twisted together to form the rope proper.
4) So the task is to untwist any part of the rope that has been cylindrically twisted, teasing the tobacco into a flat sheet as far as you can.
5) Air dry overnight
6) Tear all the flattened pieces into smaller pieces, and grab bunches to be rubbed out.

Something I do care about: Ordering 500g of Black Rope.
Pictures would’ve helped you sound less insane.

I will lay my cigar cutter down flat on a table, insert a rope end down touching the table through the cutter, and slice. I just cut a whole rope section into slices in one setting and then dry it. I get nice thin slices that way, which rub out into almost a shag. But, that depends on the design of the cigar cutter.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I will lay my cigar cutter down flat on a table, insert a rope end down touching the table through the cutter, and slice. I just cut a whole rope section into slices in one setting and then dry it. I get nice thin slices that way, which rub out into almost a shag. But, that depends on the design of the cigar cutter.
That’s not complicated enough.

Reactions: jpberg
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
nipthetip-guillotine.gif

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I have used a coffee grinder (dedicated one to tobacco) to chop up rope tobacco as well as flakes , works like a charm . Start slowly and achieve the desired outcome … don’t overdo it

Reactions: gamzultovah

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
What you all are missing is what I would call the 250 y/o historicity of the rope preparation. Approaching the task completely by hand takes me back a few centuries to England, that was replete with shops catering to the needs of the pipe smoker, each with their own recipes for rope.

If you will, extravagantly old-fashioned, but I say honoring that which well deserves it.