PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I recently found my pipe cleaner stash to be low, in fact, I only had a few packs of BJ Long tapered cleaners on hand. I stopped using BJ Long cleaners some time ago moving to White Elephant. More recent BJ Longs samples exhibited a loss of backbone -- nearly impossible to fish one through a stem. Yesterday's spaghetti noodles would be more suitable.

Off to my favorite online retailer to add some White Elephant pipe cleaners to the next order. Gobsmacked to see that a pack of 100 cleaners was $5.10, twice the price of a pack of BJ Long cleaners. Now IMO White Elephant cleaners are better than BJ Long, but they aren't twice as good, though I do use fewer of the former as they last longer. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much choice when it comes to pipe cleaners. Never thought I'd see the day when a pack of pipe cleaners cost more than $5, does anyone have a good method to recycle used pipe cleaners?

Reactions: Fralphog

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Man..that is way higher than the price in Europe. I think Id be buying elsewhere. Maybe someone screwed up the price entry?

EvansFuan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2024
I've also noticed the quality difference between BJ Long and White Elephant. It’s good that there are still sites where you can find White Elephant 1.88. On recycling, I've had some success gently washing and straightening used ones for less critical cleaning tasks. It's not perfect, but it helps stretch the stash a bit further!

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
On things below $100, I tend to not think too deeply on price. I usually just go on eBay or Amazon and look for a whole gross of pipecleaners. I usually end up with BJ Longs or Zens, which I hadn't noticed any change in quality. I may have to more closely examine.
This right here ⬆️👍😁
I buy a gross or equivalent $h!t ton of Zen, Mantelo or BJ’s using 5 a day on average.
The BJ’s suck compared to years ago but for the price I deal with it and occasionally toss out an extremely weak cleaner out of every 10 or so.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
@Briar Lee how do those Zen cleaners hold up, will they make it through a bent stem without folding over?

They are a lot “better” for my use than the traditional white Dill’s pipe cleaner I grew up using.

I’ve never found a bad one. They are slightly tapered, and if the small end won’t go through a bit it needs filed. They keep their shape, and have bristles.

But I use em because they are cheap as any I’ve found, and come in big quantites so I have plenty on hand.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I use both White Elephant and B j Longs because they can do different things.
The quality of B J Longs went into the shitter years ago, becoming inconsistent raggedy lint dumpers and a testament to managerial incompetence. But even in their sorry state the tapered bristles still provide useful service.
White Elephant’s quality is far superior, but the girth isn’t quite sufficient to scrub the shank airway as well as the Longs, despite their flaccid wire spines. I use White Elephant bristles for the stem airway where the much softer bristles are perfect for cleaning the stem without scratching it.
As for cleaning and reuse, my time is worth more to me than 5 cents an hour.
For a long term reusable product, buy yourself a couple of shank brushes or a bottle brush set. Cheap, effective and reusable.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
A quick flush with warm di-hydrogen monoxide right after smoking might diminish the need for pipe cleaners. I haven't noticed any limpness in Longs, but mine were purchased in bulk quite a while ago. What I hate is having to straighten the ends with pliers, so that they don't scratch going around curves on bents. Longs, as far as I know, are still made about 20 miles from where I am right now. I suppose I could drop by and kick someone's ass. But, you know...the police, courts, and stuff?

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Haven't noticed any decline in the B.J. Long's but may not have noticed. I usually by my cleaners at the local B&M that I frequent by the box full. Usually lasts more than a year.

Reactions: anotherbob

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I'll second the mention of shank and stem brushes. I only use pipe cleaners for that mid-smoke dry out (if needed), and to run through at the end of the smoke. The BJs do fine I suppose, especially for their price vs others (and certainly better than the Brigham cleaners), but when I need to do an actual cleaning of the pipe, it's the reusable bristle brushes, not pipe cleaners.

I have some long brushes for stems, they're from Neerup, only problem is, the epoxy or whatever on the tips of the wire is too thick to pass through the bit hole on all of my pipes except my one meer, run them in from the tenon all the way up until they stop at the bit, but that's only a minor inconvenience, since the one part they can't go through gets cleaned anyway when cleaning the slit.

Then again though, I only use a maximum bend of 1/4 bent stems.