PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Whenever I see pipes with outrageous prices my first thought is 'Is that a typo?'

Who would pay $1k or more for a pipe? Or more than $500 for that matter.
Were I a multi-millionaire I still couldn't justify spending huge money on a pipe, especially since that I doubt that they smoke any better than most of my briars & cobs that were bargains.

Take this 1965-1976 Charatan Achievement for example. Sure it's a really nice pipe. But not $26,000 nice.

charatan achievement 1965-1976 $26,000.jpg

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Apologies, I'm technologically challenged & can't work out how to save & upload the ebay page.
The seller is prestigepipe whom I've bought a couple of Volkan pipes from.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I wouldn’t spend that kind of money on a pipe but if someone had the money and wanted to spend it on a pipe it wouldn’t bother me at all.

To each their own. As long as they’re happy with their purchase I’m not going to bring them down or complain.

But I’m definitely happier with my purchases since they are all well within my comfort zone and I don’t have to worry about them.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Who would pay $1k or more for a pipe? Or more than $500 for that matter.
Were I a multi-millionaire I still couldn't justify spending huge money on a pipe

Were I a multi-millionaire I would have zero reservations spending that kind of money. Wanting a good deal is completely understandable but if a person can afford it and they enjoy it why not spend the money?

It comes down to available funds and management of finances. When I was younger I did not have the income I now have and had to be much more aware of expendable income. Now I have more expendable income but I do keep a very close eye on my personal financial statement and watch my investments as well.

Think of it this way, at some point $5 might not be a concern and can be spent willy-nilly. At another point it might be $50, then at another point it could be the $500 you are referencing. I'm sure for some people it's $5000 or $50000. I'm nowhere near these last levels but I'm comfortable spending a few dollars every now and then.

When I was younger I didn't understand just how much money people could have until the owner of a place I used to work asked the company CPA (who he had manage his personal finances as well) if a $300000 check had cleared his account because he couldn't tell by looking at the balance. At the time I could tell if a $30 check had cleared my account or not. And this guy pales in comparison to a lot of other people. There are people who bet $20000 per hand or roll of the dice here in Vegas and don't think twice about it. Sure, some people that do that bankrupt themselves but for some people it's, to them, what pocket change is to the rest of us. If I had that kind of money I absolutely wouldn't hesitate to spend money on a pricey pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
But not $26,000 nice.
So, you're saying everyone should have identical tastes and fiscal values? And, that they should match yours? That you wish to be the arbiter of pipe prices? I respectfully submit that; The only price you should be concerned with is what you are spending. The spending habits of others are simply that and really do not merit comment by you or I.

I have the same philosophy with regard to the choice of brand and shape others select. It's none of my business. My personal observations do not merit comment, much less reading by others.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
So, you're saying everyone should have identical tastes and fiscal values? And, that they should match yours? That you wish to be the arbiter of pipe prices? I respectfully submit that; The only price you should be concerned with is what you are spending. The spending habits of others are simply that and really do not merit comment by you or I.

I have the same philosophy with regard to the choice of brand and shape others select. It's none of my business. My personal observations do not merit comment, much less reading by others.
"My personal observations do not merit comment, much less reading by others" yet here you are, reading & commenting.

No I'm not the "arbiter" of anything that others choose to buy.
I'm just stunned that others would pay $26K for a pipe.

If you're so gung-ho on defending others rights to think as they please, why are you even commenting on my opinion? A bit contradictory at best, hypocritical at worst. But hey, that's just my opinion.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
To be fair, some of these pipes are truly works of art - that you can smoke. That’s a pretty good justification for spending the money. If you have it and want to. Hard to criticize someone spending money on art, at least to me.
Yeah I can see that. The guy at that ebay store has some amazing pipes. Some of them aren't too expensive by comparison. [Around $500 which is reasonable considering the time it took to make]

Maybe if I WAS a multi-millionaire I'd have a different outlook I guess.

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
I dunno, I've been too poor for too long. Even if I became a multi millionaire tomorrow I doubt I would live long enough to not feel guilty about spending that kind of money on a pipe. But who knows, maybe I wouldn't.

As for what others do, its your money not mine. I would be no more than envious of your financial ability, (and in awe that you could do so without feeling guilty)

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I dunno, I've been too poor for too long. Even if I became a multi millionaire tomorrow I doubt I would live long enough to not feel guilty about spending that kind of money on a pipe. But who knows, maybe I wouldn't.

As for what others do, its your money not mine. I would be no more than envious of your financial ability, (and in awe that you could do so without feeling guilty)
Ditto.

Then again, wondering what I'd do were I a millionaire is a moot waste of time because I'll never be one. I'll have to learn to be content with my factory-made pipes. puffy

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I agree with shanez. It's all relative and perspective. There's some other factors that come into play as well. It's mostly about disposable income. What you will consider spending on a pipe is probably going to vary as your disposable income varies. The guy that has $500 in their checking account is probably going to think longer about buying a $1000 pipe than the guy with $500,000. However, maybe not! Perhaps the reason the one guy has $500K is because he's conservative and values his money more than spending it frivolously on things like an expensive tobacco pipe. You never really know for sure but I think in general, people spending $1000 plus on pipes aren't spending their children's college fund to do so.

Kind of reminds me of all the conversations about Michael Jordan's gambling losses. So he lost $200K playing golf one day. He still had $100 million left. $200K is irrelevant to folks like him. If MJ decided to take up pipe smoking, I'm guessing most all his pipes would cost well over $1000.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
How about this?

s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: chopper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It’s 100% about disposable income.
how do you show you’re better than everyone else if you don’t have the most expensive pipe?
If you don’t spend $26k on a pipe you might see someone with a $25k pipe and regret it!

Status
Not open for further replies.