PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
hey everybody, just want some opinions on a problem im having with one of my pipes, its a peterson 313. I bought this pipe as my first brand new pipe and ive had it about a month and a half, and have smoked it about 20 times. It smokes pretty bad. At frst it had a bad taste but i cleaned the stain from the inside of the shank, now it just has alot of bite, no matter the tobacco, and tastes very ashy. I have many other pipes that smoke well so i know what a good smoking pipe tastes like.
I cant keep this pipe lit, it doesnt taste good and i dont know what to do...
Should i just keep smoking it and hope it breaks in, should i contact peterson, should i sell it and move on.
Please help

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
It's called breaking in. Some pipes seem to be stubborn about it. Been there, done that. Keep smoking it and breaking it in. Eventually it will become tamed and smoke well for you.
Or not. Maybe it just isn't a good pipe for you, in which case give or sell it to someone else.
In my experience there are some Petes that just seem to need some extra time to tame. But that's just me.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a Peterson Donegal Rocky 80s bent bulldog, and like Mason said, it was very slow coming into its own.

After more than 100 smokes it finally relaxed and became a good smoker, but at that, I noticed it only does

well with Virginia flakes. In fact it's one of my best Va. flake pipes. Go figure. :roll:

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I will agree with the above. I love petersons but sometimes they can take a while to break in.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
As its a System pipe, are you cleaning out the resevoir after every smoke? In addition to cleaning the stem and draft hole with pipe cleaners, I will use either a Qtip or just a twisted up paper towel to sop up the accumulated gunk.
But I agree with the rest of the guys; as this is your first new pipe, no one else has broken it in for you. Smoke slowly - 45 mins to an hour for a bowl of this size. Also, how hot does the bowl get? Too hot to hold? If so, you REALLY need to slow down especially if you're smoking aromatics (and that goes double for cheap aromatics). Too much heat (fast puffing/sugary topping) + no cake = no fun to smoke.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Nope, i clean the reservoir with a qtip everytime i smoke, ive been practicing slow smoking for contests so im definitely not smoking too hot and i personally smoke only virginians, and i have another pipe for the occasional rum and maple. This pipe usually lasts about 30-45 minutes, it is a pretty small pipe.
I guess it may just need some serious breaking in. Ill have to smoke it some more and not be annoyed with a bad smoke, treat it like an investment

Status
Not open for further replies.