PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpants

Lurker
Oct 23, 2012
Well since I lost my tamp in the deck crack I have been using my finger... which apparently makes me a badass...all thoughs years handling hot saute pans payed off I guess. But now I think just for the effe of it I wanna buy a fancy free hand type briar tamp. Any known place I should check out?

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
Draft holes are not only higher than need be, they are too small often, as are stems producing a less than adequate draft. This is why many open up the stem and draft hole and if need be, build up the bottom of the pipe. making a bad pipe good, a good pipe great, and a great pipe, SUPERB! NOT all pipe makers do this, But many do for reasons already stated. Sometimes it was just how they were taught. As you stated, you look at where the draft hole is located. Many do not. They also have no idea what size the draft hole is , or tenon, or shank. bit and there is more.This is one of the main reasons pipe gurgle. Poor air dynamics. All this means for me is, I have Great Respect for a good pipe maker or factory that produces good or great pipes. They are much more than the sum total of the whole.

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
I forgot to say. Tamping is critical to a great smoke and to the production of Pipe Angels.(A light grey powder, that floats to the ground).I wish there were more cigrmasters.you! are young and engaged.Carry the message and your knowledge forward. Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.