PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I had one 100gr Rattray's tin, from the mid 90's, fail at the point where the metal had been scored for the pull top. The others have been OK so far. Stuff happens. It's a fact of cellaring. I don't worry about my round tins. So far they've held up. But most of those are older and stouter in construction.

Pre 2004 C&D tins were poor quality. By 2005 they were properly coating the interior, except at the solder joint, which improved things, but didn't guarantee anything. All of that has been bagged, and I'm glad I did that since some 16 oz C&D tins from 2010 and 2011 were corroding at that joint. Not all C&D blends corrode their tins, but I have a lot of Haddo's and that's one that does corrode tins.

Even some McClellands tins from the '90's fail, and those were better quality than C&D.

Ultimately we'll make our own decisions and get what we get.
I agree Sable. 2oz C&D and McClelland tins are the safest to cellar due to the fact that they don’t have that soldier joint like the 100 gr and larger tins

Reactions: sablebrush52

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Update: I let the Balkan Flake day out and it does smoke a littler better. However, like someone else pointed out the stuff is almost impossible to light. So, I used an old trick that has worked before. I fill the pipe 2/3 with the flake, then top it off with something else that will burn. In this case some Proper English which works because they are both Latakia blends. But I take it another step. I use some of the small grains that accumulate at the bottom of the humidore, because they burn easily and because this is a good use for them as they can stop up your draft hole if they're at the bottom of a bowl. They burn well and will start the Flake burning and problem solved. Some "purest" might think this mixing is sacrilege, but it works for me. puffy
It's been a couple of weeks now and I've given the Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake every chance. I smoked it wet and dry, broken it up and packed it every way I can think of and mixed it with other blends. I'm sorry to say, but this is one looser of a blend. Not only does it not want to burn but it also just plain taste b-a-d ! I consider it wasted money. I'know, some reviewers on the web liked it.... go figure! :confused:

Last edited:

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I wrap around the seal joint on 50gm/2oz tins with this Silicone tape. It forms an airtight barrier should the seal fail and will maintain the tobacco at least until I check and discover the failed tin.
View attachment 266660
I think I'm gonna give this a try on my Gawith stuff. I know that sometimes they have had problems, but I love their stuff a lot and even though I haven't had an issue, better safe than sorry. I'll keep buying either way!

Reactions: VDL_Piper

franklinpipes

Lurker
Oct 30, 2023
Charleston, SC
Probably a good maintenance step to check the tins now and then. I live in a fairly humid climate year-round, so even if the seal failed - the leaf wouldn't dry out too quickly.

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
If I could start cellaring over again I would use Mylar, simply because even jars fail. If I did use jars again I’d use new lids every time and I’d heat the jars to form a seal, that way I’d know when lids aren’t sealed properly. Tins I just inspect periodically but I’d Mylar square tins and bags if I were starting today.
Clarifying question: do you ever open tins and store them in Mylar? Or do you store the tins in Mylar until time to crack them, then you generally keep it in jars? The tin in the bag? Just the bag?

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Clarifying question: do you ever open tins and store them in Mylar? Or do you store the tins in Mylar until time to crack them, then you generally keep it in jars? The tin in the bag? Just the bag?
I haven’t stored tins in Mylar yet but if/when I do I would jar them once opened. Tins in Mylar is just an added precautionary measure against failing seals, specifically square tins. If I had a large inventory of square tins I probably would store them in Mylar until use, from what I’ve gathered it’s a good practice for square tins, some use oxygen absorbers but I don’t know if they are necessary or even detrimental. Most of us just stick the tins in a container and forget about them. I get a whiff of tobacco from my totes but I’m not too worried. Hopefully that answers your questions.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
IIRC, I think others have discovered / speculated that tins in metallized mylar may enhance the chances of a rusty tin.

Reactions: Winnipeger

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I haven’t stored tins in Mylar yet but if/when I do I would jar them once opened. Tins in Mylar is just an added precautionary measure against failing seals, specifically square tins. If I had a large inventory of square tins I probably would store them in Mylar until use, from what I’ve gathered it’s a good practice for square tins, some use oxygen absorbers but I don’t know if they are necessary or even detrimental. Most of us just stick the tins in a container and forget about them. I get a whiff of tobacco from my totes but I’m not too worried. Hopefully that answers your questions.
It does. Was curious, curiosity satisfied. It's nice to get an idea of common practices.

Reactions: MattRVA

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
This is a timely reminder. Last night I really felt like some Sam Gawith FVF, sure enough the tin i grabbed wasn't sealed. The contents look ok, it's only maybe a year and a half old, but it is on the dry side. Glad I didn't try to cellar those tins for 5 or 10 years! Lesson learned.

Reactions: seanv