Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Aug 1, 2012
I'm putting together a box to send to a friend who is having a hard time and also wants to get into pipe smoking. He bought a crap pipe which has not been great and a pouch of Cpt. Black regular (which I remember quite liking when I was starting out). I'm looking for some suggestions on what to put in the box. I'm including a couple restored briars from reputable manufacturers as well as a cob, a couple tampers, some pipe cleaners, a few samples from my cellar and a few classic blends for him to try. The question is, what exactly to include over and above that? Any recommendations of cheap, easily accessible blends/tins to add? Anything I'm forgetting? I want to set the guy up as he'll be where he is for a while and can smoke whenever he likes.

Aug 1, 2012
A MM cob with acrylic stem. A pouch of codger blend, no Velvet. A pipe nail tamper. A pack of pipe cleaner. A Bic. And a bottle of single malt.
Considering what he's recovering from, I believe all but the single malt would be great to add 😛 .

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I would consider a sample of BLWB from Lane. It’s a very easy blend to smoke and keep lit without being overly aromatic or causing tongue bite. Maybe a packet of Prince Albert. Both are different enough from Captain Black to have variety. Second the suggestion for 965! Maybe even something like Oriental Silk for variety without Latakia. That’s a nice spread of tobacco flavors!

It’s cool you’re helping him out! Good on ya!

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
A MM cob with acrylic stem. A pouch of codger blend, no Velvet. A pipe nail tamper. A pack of pipe cleaner. A Bic. And a bottle of single malt.
...and a partridge in a pear tree...

I concur on all of this. Your friend can use the booze for deep cleaning the pipe, rather than for drinking. As for the leaf itself, I'd say you can't go wrong with a pouch of SWRA. Just my two cents.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Sounds like you've got all the essentials covered. Maybe add a microfiber cloth to polish the pipes and stems. One of those fold out pipe stands would also be a nice touch. Make sure to write a little note on how to care for and clean the pipes, or better yet get on a video chat and go through everything you think he needs to know. Oh yeah, have him join the forum.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'm putting together a box to send to a friend who is having a hard time and also wants to get into pipe smoking. He bought a crap pipe which has not been great and a pouch of Cpt. Black regular (which I remember quite liking when I was starting out). I'm looking for some suggestions on what to put in the box. I'm including a couple restored briars from reputable manufacturers as well as a cob, a couple tampers, some pipe cleaners, a few samples from my cellar and a few classic blends for him to try. The question is, what exactly to include over and above that? Any recommendations of cheap, easily accessible blends/tins to add? Anything I'm forgetting? I want to set the guy up as he'll be where he is for a while and can smoke whenever he likes.
That's a great starting kit.
Most thoughtful of you.

When I got back to smoking a pipe, a mate gave me one of his father's Dunhill - unsmoked and still in a box.
Plus a selection of his favourite blends.
All very much appreciated by me.
Especially the tobacco, as it gave me a chance to try a few different blends without having to buy whole tins and risk not liking them.

Reactions: captainsousie

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I'll second the Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic...but what your care package needs is a good book. Now, I'm sure lots of folks have great recommendations. If he's going through hard times, probably want to stay away from Hemingway. Maybe a collection of WB Yeats poems?

Aug 1, 2012
I'll second the Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic...but what your care package needs is a good book. Now, I'm sure lots of folks have great recommendations. If he's going through hard times, probably want to stay away from Hemingway. Maybe a collection of WB Yeats poems?
I really like the idea of a book. He loves westerns and I've got a few great ones I can send his way. Thanks!

Reactions: Jacob74
Aug 1, 2012
And thanks for the kind words. The guy has done so much for myself and others that this is literally the least I can do.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It appears that you have gotten this guy off of hell of a start. Probably ought to wait a while to see which ones he really likes.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I usually like to throw in some nice chocolates specially if there is anything like that is popular like a local fudge place or something, maybe also one of those little tobacco journals so he can take notes on what he likes can doesn't like since he's new to pipes.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I would also concur with the idea of a pouch of “codger” leaf (my suggestion…. Prince Albert or Sir Walter Raleigh), a book he would like, and a bit of liquid libation if he has a favored drink.