PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Others have mentioned forever stems which are now sold by Vermont Freehand. I’ve got a couple made by them and one made by Walker Briar Works who offered them originally. They get the job done and are super durable but their bite zones are very thick, the thickest of any pipe I own. I don’t reach for these cobs much and I suspect the thickness is why. I eventually want to get at least one shaved down to be narrower to find out if that’s really what bugs me about the pipes or if it’s just that I don’t love cobs.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Paper is, too. My point was that we're not needing the smoke to pass through the medium to be considered a filter, it just needs to catch some of what's flowing by it.
Once upon a time they came with a Medico filter at some point they just started using a hollow paper tube. Probably similar to a Savinelli adapter but replacements aren't available. You just use filters from that point or not.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Once upon a time they came with a Medico filter at some point they just started using a hollow paper tube. Probably similar to a Savinelli adapter but replacements aren't available. You just use filters from that point or not.
I keep Savinelli 9mm balsa filters around and I cut to size. I can get two filters for 6mm opening from one 9mm filter. Then I have a couple of pipes that just take a 9mm whole.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
It should remove. While turning the stem, pull backward. Hold the pipe from the shank, not the bowl. Removing the stem while holding the bowl, may cause the shank to become loose at the bowl attachment over time.
You may have a pipe that has a tighter than normal fit. Hope that helps.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
It should remove. While turning the stem, pull backward. Hold the pipe from the shank, not the bowl. Removing the stem while holding the bowl, may cause the shank to become loose at the bowl attachment over time.
You may have a pipe that has a tighter than normal fit. Hope that helps.
I figured it out.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
MM makes some pipes that come with acrylic stems to begin with, but they cost a little more. I figured out that it was cheaper to buy a MM with acrylic stem and use the stem on whichever cob I may be smoking at the time. The aftermarket acrylic stems cost just a bit more than the Emerald pipe which has an acrylic stem to begin with.

Here is a picture of my Mark Twain model with the acrylic stem from an Emerald (also MM).

View attachment 142326
Will it fit a filter?